Cant install 8800 gtx

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Ok so i have order the antec 900 case, should come tuesday, hopefully the 8800 will work
You still have to remove the optional 120mm fan holder (black plastic) in front of the drive cage in the Antec 900 in order for the 8800GTX to fit in the first PCI-E slot in the case. I had to remove mine. It was no big deal and straight forward but necessary.

Can the black fan be put somewhere else? for example, can it be moved up or down?

Nomans63

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Can the black fan be put somewhere else? for example, can it be moved up or down?
It's an optional fan holder (a black plastic cage), not the fan. The Antec 900 already comes with 3 x 120 mm fan (2 front intakes, 1 rear exhaust) and one huge 200 mm on top. so it's kinda waste for me to put any opional fan right there. The optional 120 mm fan on the clear side window would make more sense to me.
Yes, I think you can move it down to the 2. drive cage, if you want. But what devices do you want to cool down there? May be your Sound Blaster X-Fi or TV Tuner? The optional fan on the 1. drive cage seems to be more useful to me because it would help cooling the memory and the video card (however, in case of the overlong high-end card like the 8800GTX, it actually causes more problems)

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
ok rob no need to get offended, i trust in your advice, i didnt see the link the first time, i will look at the link.

Ill keep you posted on my progress. When you say it isnt getting enough from my psu are you saying i have cabled it wrong, or that my psu isnt capable?

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Thing is tho, is that my psu is sli ready, its a 580w, by my slim knowledge this should work. Do you know much about psu's? and if so do you know much about my psu? have people had problems with it before regarding sli/8800.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Soooooo, i am currently running my windows with my 8800 working, almost perfect you might say?.

No, windows still doesnt recognise my 8800, i had to force install the drivers. I tried games, run 3d mark 6 etc, card is kicking ass.

And no sqeeeling from the card. Here is what i did:

I gutted my entire system, took everything out and put it together in open air, made sure everything was connected up properly. Worked first time, no sqeeling either. I belive my problem was down to a little bit of my newbness, ii had connected both power connecters of the 8800, but on the second adaptor i had finished the loop, so it was only getting half (or not enough) power.

Now all i have to do is wait till nvidia and gigabyte sort something out with the drivers/bios.

Just want to thank EVERYONE for there help, reading that post was very usefull too. If anything comes up i will let you know, but at the moment things are going ok. (famous last words) *''sqqqqqqqqqqeeeeelllll"* hehe joke.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
So, here is my last update, everything is up and running smoothly (still xp not recognising card but i can live with the workaround).

Got my new case and put it all together, thought i would post some pics =)

Open air setup:
1.jpg

The beast:
2.jpg

Internal mess:
3.jpg

Desk:
4.jpg

Last Shot:
5.jpg

This Antec 900 case is superb btw, the cooling is INSANE, on max speed it sounds like a hoover haha, not quite, but its very loud.

Would recomend this case to anyone, its actually a pretty case, in its own wierd way.