[SOLVED] Can't install any operating system, but inserting a hard disk with preinstalled Windows 10 works perfectly

Jul 16, 2021
A computer has a Narra6 motherboard, an AMD Athlon II X4 630 CPU, 4 GB of DDR3 RAM.

No errors on one pass of Memtest. Furmark and CPUburn-in ran for 10-20 minutes without any issues or high temperatures.

I've tried installing Windows 10, different versions, Linux Mint, Ubuntu. But everything fails.

For example, Linux Mint gives this error: "Decoding Failed -- System halted" when trying a live USB.

When installing Windows 10, I get something like this: https://filestore.community.support...01a57-1542-4a70-a419-8f8fec5a44ee?upload=true
(only in my case the error number was "0xc0000098")

Inserting an HDD with a preinstalled Windows 10 works perfectly, no issues.

I've tried two harddrives, one empty and one with Windows 10, but the problem occurs in both cases.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021
It was "0xc0000098" error in my case. Everything else is the same except this error and maybe the "File" field. Unfortunately, I couldn't find what the file field was, only the error.

If not, it can be any device - included CPU and PSU.

Since the setup are some years old now, I'd suspect motherboard and PSU as the most probable components being faulty.

If possible, I'd recommend you try another PSU - that should be the cheapest options to start with.

Jul 16, 2021
If not, it can be any device - included CPU and PSU.

Since the setup are some years old now, I'd suspect motherboard and PSU as the most probable components being faulty.

If possible, I'd recommend you try another PSU - that should be the cheapest options to start with.

Sorry, I don't understand, you said "if not", what was it referring to?
The PC works perfectly when I insert an HDD with an already installed Windows 10. There has never been any random shutdowns or crashes when the system was running. Can it still be PSU?

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't understand, you said "if not", what was it referring to?
I see now, must be a copy/paste error from my side, that "if not" shouldn't be there. I meant to say the fault can be located anywhere based on what info exist so far.

What desktop version of Ubuntu/Mint did you try? Can you please also try the Mint XFCE edition, it may work better since it require less resources.

Jul 16, 2021
I see now, must be a copy/paste error from my side, that "if not" shouldn't be there. I meant to say the fault can be located anywhere based on what info exist so far.

What desktop version of Ubuntu/Mint did you try? Can you please also try the Mint XFCE edition, it may work better since it require less resources.

I've tried Ubuntu 20.04 and Linux Mint 20. Years ago I was able to dualboot Windows 10 / Linux Mint 19 on the same machine.

Jul 16, 2021
https://superuser.com/questions/678511/error-0xc0000098-when-dual-booting-ubuntu-alongside-windows-7

also for linux, maybe you need to run grub or something to prep the new drive you wanted to install on

that error means the boot stuff is messed up. you now need to run a boot repair utility
Thanks, but can it still prevent Linux Mint from running live from a USB at all? Because I think it should run even without a harddrive, but it still fails to run from a live USB.