Here are my components:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drivee Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN3800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

This is my first build so I'm sure I'm just missing something. I've put all the components together and everything seems to be working fine. It POSTs and all the components seem to be recognized in the BIOS. The problems started when I tried to install the operating system. First I tried to install Windows 8 OEM using a disk. Every time I insert the disk the windows logo pops up. Sometimes the loading symbol shows up. Then the whole system turns off and turns back on and the process starts over again. I tried putting windows 8 and 7 on a bootable usb and installing them that way, but the same thing happened. I looked online and saw that some people that were having this problem were able to install linux first and then install windows afterward, so I tried it. I chose to install ubuntu with a usb. The first thing that comes up is one of 2 menus. One menu looks like this. The second one I don't have a picture of, but it's similar with a few extra prompts. Regardless of whether I decide to try unbuntu first or just install it, the same thing happens. I see 3 these screens: screen 1, screen 2, screen 3. Then the system reboots again like it did with the windows OS. I tried testing the ram with memtest and there weren't any errors. I also tried installing the OS with only 1 stick of ram, but it couldn't load the display and then restarted. I'm not sure if that means it's a ram problem or if it could still be something else. I would like some kind of confirmation before I have to spend money on more parts, so any insight would be appreciated.

Solution

Which slots are you using? Try the second and fourth from the cpu.Make sure XMP is enabled in ther bios.
If someone in the neighboorhood has ddr4 ram ask if you can lend a stick to test with,see if it is the ram.

spray2000

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
I had the exact problem now i don't know if this will fix it, But check in your bios and look for sata port, It's different for everymotherboard... But it should be in your advanced tab for that exact motherboard, Anyway look for sata port or I think it's called Onboard Devices and there should be like sata port 1-(How ever many) and like 20-(How ever many) Just change it from IDE TO AHCI (It could be the other way around)

Neil_10

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

Neil_10

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
hello:
in my opinio the hard disk needs too be wiped . get " dariks boot 'n' nuke " off the net and wipe your hard disk because the boot sector information is all fubar . this is because you have attempted to install multiple operating systems un-successfully..then when the disk is purged of all inconsistancies , try to install one operating system from good media. let me know how it works. signed: enemyofthestate, lost angeles, kalifornia usa

theTwinista

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

I have already tried this, but it didn't change anything.

theTwinista

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

I've reinstalled the cooler once before because of the same issue, but the same thing kept happening. Also in the BIOS the temp doesn't get much higher than 31&degC.

Neil_10

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
hello again. this is what i would try. put one stick of ram in. hook up one dvd/cd drive, hook up the hard disk. {ssd}, if the motherboard has on-board, video
use that instead of the graphics card. i take my win 7 install dvd to a video rental store and have them polish your install media. then try to load the o/s .

theTwinista

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

Ok. So I took out the graphics card and left one stick of ram in. When I tried to install the OS like this, the system wouldn't POST. When I put the second stick back in, it would POST but wouldn't install the OS. So, can I assume this is a ram issue or could it potentially be something else?

NightHaveN

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
1. If it passes memtest... RAM is not the problem. Period!

2. Forget trying Windows 7. Not sure but I think you need to install in HD then clone to SSD there.

3. Reset bios to factory defaults.

4. Check bios settings for SATA. The mode should be AHCI. But RAID is supposed to work too.

5. Check bios settings for Boot (startup). If all your devices are UEFI, should be UEFI enabled (pure), otherwise UEFI with legacy fallback. Also Fast Boot should be disabled, until you are done installing.

6. Not sure about your GTX 770 but if the card UEFI implementation is buggy may show similar problems. I had a very similar issue with my system (ATI 7870) crashing randomly from either bios to a couple of hours playtime.

7. Check CPU temperature.

8. Try starting up with bare minimum. No wireless, no other usb, no video card. Only mobo, ram, cpu, hd, dvd.

If Windows gets crazy about the HD boot sector information, you can install Ubuntu to clean the hard disk. Then when Windows search for a valid partition, it will detect is used by an alien OS and with grace will ask you to format and re-partition the whole disk again.

When installing Ubuntu, if that disk sole purpose is for a main OS, be sure to select: Use Entire Disk, when partitioning. Otherwise the old layout will stay unless you manually erase it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Which slots are you using? Try the second and fourth from the cpu.Make sure XMP is enabled in ther bios.
If someone in the neighboorhood has ddr4 ram ask if you can lend a stick to test with,see if it is the ram.

Solution