Question Can't install any ver of Linux

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
I tried Mint and Fedora today but both were a no go from USB. I had this problem before a few years ago but can't remember the fix.
Motherboard is Asus Z97-AR...I lost all my settings a while back in bios and I think it was some setting that was killing the install before.

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
When booting from the USB drive that contains Linux it starts the process but screen goes blank and process ends..I do believe it something to do with secure boot...which is enable

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
I read to disable secure boot you must go to Key Management and clear all keys...I don't recall ever having to do before. Are those keys stored in the bios and can be restored if needed?

I tried Mint and Fedora today but both were a no go from USB. I had this problem before a few years ago but can't remember the fix.
Motherboard is Asus Z97-AR...I lost all my settings a while back in bios and I think it was some setting that was killing the install before.
What are you doing at the point of install and where are you installing it. Is the installation target drive marked with a GPT identifier and is all of its space unallocated? The installer will do everything needed for partitioning and formatting.

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
What are you doing at the point of install and where are you installing it. Is the installation target drive marked with a GPT identifier and is all of its space unallocated? The installer will do everything needed for partitioning and formatting.
I don't make that far (picking a target drive) this USB with (Live Fedora) on it never makes it to fully boot

I don't make that far (picking a target drive) this USB with (Live Fedora) on it never makes it to fully boot
The closest thing I have here is an H97 motherboard. I booted up a usb with linux mint 20.3 cinnamon (Edge) which is the latest version with the most recent kernel and it boots fine in both the normal mode and the video compatibility mode. In my bios, CSM is disabled and Secure Boot Windows EUFI is enabled. If you still have problems you could try setting CSM to Enabled and then set all of the options it offers to Legacy and see if that helps. Also with Secure Boot you have an option to set that to Other OS which may be the option you need.

Munkustrap

Reputable
Mar 31, 2019
I read to disable secure boot you must go to Key Management and clear all keys...I don't recall ever having to do before. Are those keys stored in the bios and can be restored if needed?

Depending on your BIOS, you should be able to disable Secure Boot without clearing any keys. I just set it to "disabled" and rebooted. Solves the problem for the Linux distros that don't like it.

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
I removed PK key so I could disable secure boot, still no go. I'm almost sure it is my video card causing the issue..I had a Nvida card before and could not install linux. Later I got a AMD card and all was fine until it died and with Nvida again

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Should still boot to desktop with an Nvidia GPU, just won't necessarily load the Nvidia drivers by default.

I recently used a quick download of Ubuntu to test out my old GTX980 (original cooler reinstalled) and a new 3080Ti (then water block) before I replaced my GTX1080. Ended up having to actually install since I couldn't get the live boot to run the Nvidia driver.

TRENDING THREADS