can't install drivers for gtx 660 on windows 8.1, black screen after reboot

clarkjames

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
I have searched, but l'm not able to figure this out, although i'm not new to computers I've been a mac and console person since my last PC build about 5-6 years ago. I started gaming on windows again on bootcamp with mac, and then jus built a new HTPC and gaming rig, but i'm having issues.

The hardware is a gigabyte h61 usb3 board, i5 2400 cpu, 8gb avexir ram, evg gtx 660 sc

I am running widows 8.1 enterprise trial, just wanted to test it out to see whether to use that or windows 7, so far I really like it so don't want to have to drop back to 7 (i'm running 7 on my laptop)

I installed the drivers (latest ones) and after reboot it just shows a black screen, rebooting in safe mode works and from there I can uninstall the drivers and it will boot up again fine. I installed the intel graphics drivers and it will boot with the intel HD graphics fine

I'm not really sure what the issue could be, as it's a totally fresh windows install (only the updates have been installed).

I have tried installing older drivers, same problem, I have tried updating drivers using windows driver update instead of downloading them from NVidia, I have reached the end of my knowledge and I am turning to you for help. What should I do, I really don't want to have to drop back to win 7 but i'm afraid I might have to for now anyway

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Were the latest ones you installed happened to be beta?

Try going for a stable release:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

What I suggest is first doing the auto detect if you didn't already (but I suspect you did). If not, do the manual search. What I found for your card was a lengthy list of older stable driver releases, try testing out some of those and see if they work for you.

Mrgonzalez91

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Make sure u are using the PSU cable to connect the gtx don't use the cable or adapter that came with the gtx that is for SLI( connecting 2 or more graphic card) I had that problem as well u could view video with the intel but as soon as I plug in the graphic card black screen as well. Turn out it was the cords ok

clarkjames

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

thanks, I tried older stable releases, the newest release, using windows device manager to update drivers- no matter what I install as soon as I restart (and complete the install process) I get a black screen, and can only get back into my computer if I boot in safe mode with generic drivers

I even reinstalled win 8 and had issues
rolled back to win 7 and had issues

I think it must be the card, perhaps it needs to be RMA'd...

yep the 4 pin from my psu is connected, the card runs fine without the drivers, hdmi out from the card using generic windows drivers, it just dies when I put the geforce drivers on, so guess it's not a power problem

or am I missing something here...