Can't install emulation software--unusual message

I'm running Windows XP Pro sp2. I'm trying to install emulation software that
will allow me to connect from home to my office network (Unix). Every time I
try to install the software, I get an arcane message:
[The win16 subsystem was unable to enter protected mode, DOSX.exe must be in
your Autoexec.nt and present in your path.]
The software manufacturer said check for viruses--I did, none present.
I was going to re-install Windows XP, but remembered I can't since
installing SP2.
I haven't messed around in any autoexec files for years...thought I was done
with all that.
Any ideas how to make this work?
Thanks for any thoughts.

--
Bob

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:B43F666B-04FB-4CC1-B2FD-219009781EC2@microsoft.com,
Rjohn518 <Rjohn518@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I'm running Windows XP Pro sp2. I'm trying to install emulation
> software that will allow me to connect from home to my office network
> (Unix). Every time I try to install the software, I get an arcane
> DOSX.exe must be in your Autoexec.nt and present in your path.]
> The software manufacturer said check for viruses--I did, none present.
> I was going to re-install Windows XP, but remembered I can't since
> installing SP2.
> I haven't messed around in any autoexec files for years...thought I
> was done with all that.
> Any ideas how to make this work?
> Thanks for any thoughts.

Anything here help?

Error message when you start a DOS or 16 bit Program:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

If not then keep in mind that DOS isn't really supported with XP. There's a
better emulator that you could use (though this is a long way around I
suppose) and here's the link for it:

DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Galen