[SOLVED] Can't install game because an installation has been suspended?

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Hi,
I'm trying to install two games on a friend's laptop - Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (RA3) and Command & Conquer: Tiberian Twilight 4 (TT4).The laptop's an Acer Aspire V5-552 with an AMD Quad A8-5557M processor, 512mb graphics and 8GB RAM, running Windows 8.1.

When I try and install RA3, it says it can't complete because there is a Suspended Installation of TT4. It asks me if I want to remove the relevant files, which I say Yes to, but that dialogue box just keeps coming back.

If I put TT4 in instead and try and run the installer, it allows me to hit Install > English > Agree > Standard Installation and then says The program cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

It seems to me like I need to find this 'suspended installation' and get rid of it - but I can't find anything. Is that right, and if so, how?!

Please can someone help?

Thanks!

Solution
Solution: Turns out there that despite the PC being shut down and restarted a few times since the first installation, there was still a Windows installer process open in the background. By ending this process in Task Manager and then restarting the installation, I have been able to install both games. No idea if they'll play tho!

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
PC doesn't meet minimum requirements.
Games are listed as:

Intel Core 2/AMD64 or better (RA3 states '2.6GHz or faster' - this laptop has a turbo boost up to 3.1?)
1 - 1.5GB RAM
10GB Hard Drive Space
256mb video card with support for shader model 3
Directx 9.0

That all seems competent enough. Is the suspended installation not the issue?

Last edited:

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Solution: Turns out there that despite the PC being shut down and restarted a few times since the first installation, there was still a Windows installer process open in the background. By ending this process in Task Manager and then restarting the installation, I have been able to install both games. No idea if they'll play tho!

Solution