can't install new downloaded driver in xp

I've been having a problem printing from the parallel port on my laptop with
xp pro - it worked fine for a while, then stopped. It happens with 3
different printers, and I also changed the printer cable. I took all the
steps outlined in other posts, including deleting printer, uninstalling port
and changing BIOS settings

Now I just did it all again, and tried the automatic driver check on the HP
website - with my HP laserjet 1100. It detcts the printer on lpt1 and says I
have the wrong driver (XP had installed it after I re- attached it after I
uninstalled it).

It downloads the new driver and tries to install, but I get a message that
"The installation process may have encountered an error."

Help! I am going nuts with this problem It seems like I ought to be able
to print with a perfectly good printer. I am ready to go back to my old
computer.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Have you considered --
Uninstalling all printer drivers via the install/ remove hardware/software
process. Have you then removed the parallel port in device manager.

Then reboot, and allow windows to detect and reinstall the parallel port and
driver.

Then, install the current driver for your printer.

There are some variations,
Some printer drivers use an uninstaller, and/or a post uninstall cleanup
utility.

You may also have another problem occur with printer monitor software, in
that there can be conflicts between different mfrs printer software and OEM
monitors vs the windows based printer monitor.