[SOLVED] Can't install nvidia drivers on X570/3700x fresh install, it also blocked device manager

Norbix

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
So, I've been having a doozy of a time getting a new system up and running. After installing the parts and installing windows, I was experiencing BSOD (clock_watchdog_timeout) as well as random freezing and crashing. This made windows update almost impossible, because it would crash during update. Afterwards, it would error out every time. I was able to fix this by flashing bios to the lastest version as well as installing AMD chipset drivers right away on a new windows install. Windows then proceeding to update just fine, and installed NVIDIA drivers version 391 or something similar.

And then this is where things get strange. I download the newest nvidia driver from their website (https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/148584/en-us ), and go to install. Shortly into the installation my screen turns black for a second, my second monitor is just black, and the nvidia installer says it failed to install. My inclination is to go to device manager and rollback drivers, but I can't even get into device manager now. If I try, windows is telling me "this has been blocked for your protection". I'm positive this is the result of the driver installation.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here and what I might be able to do?

Solution
Thank you for the responses everyone. I was able to fix all of my problems by reinstalling windows using a USB with version 1903 already on it. : )

Norbix

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
full system spec? include make and model of the psu?
latest bio/chipset driver?

-Rosewill Computer Modular Power Supply, Modular 80 Plus Gold 750W PSU - Capstone 750
-ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 - Flahed to latest bios.
-AMD 3700x - latest chipset installed.
-Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb - Driver 391.35 installed from windows update
-Crucial Ballixtix Sport LT 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200 - Set to XMP profile in Bios.
-OCZ 256GB Vertex 4 SSD
-Samsung 860 Evo 500gb SSD

Norbix

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I have an update. Turns out it's nothing hardware related at all. It has to do with windows freaking out after restarting the cryptographic services service. I needed to change to Log On to local system account. And whenever I do that Windows goes crazy and won't let me do anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have an update. Turns out it's nothing hardware related at all. It has to do with windows freaking out after restarting the cryptographic services service. I needed to change to Log On to local system account. And whenever I do that Windows goes crazy and won't let me do anything. Does anyone have any ideas?
Looks like your Windows installation is borked. First run sfc /scannow and see if it throws errors. If it doesn't help after a reboot run :
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /ResetBase
and sfc /scannow again. if it still doesn't help, just mount windows ISO and run SETUP.EXE which should replace all system files and settings.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
It sounds like you're on a really old driver if the driver you have is 391 something. I just checked the nVidia website and 431.36 is the latest version. I'd try downloading and install that and see what happens.

Norbix

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Thank you for the responses everyone. I was able to fix all of my problems by reinstalling windows using a USB with version 1903 already on it. : )

Solution