Can't install or uninstall program on Windows 10

Jayhawker32

Distinguished
Hi,

I'm getting a System32\d3d9.dll when trying to install the newest version of Matlab and the same error while trying to uninstall the old version of Matlab. I can still run the program as of right now I just can't install or uninstall.

This is the error I receive when I go to reliability history in Windows.

Edit: I have tried a clean boot and then running the installer but encounter the same issue. This was performed with my Anti-virus paused.

Thanks

Solution

Maybe you just need to register the dll file.
Open CMD as admin
Type 'regsvr32 /u d3d9.dll' and hit enter to un-register the dll file.
Type 'regsvr32 /i d3d9.dll' and hit enter to re-register the dll file.
Type 'exit to close the command prompt window.
Reboot and try to...

Maybe you just need to register the dll file.
Open CMD as admin
Type 'regsvr32 /u d3d9.dll' and hit enter to un-register the dll file.
Type 'regsvr32 /i d3d9.dll' and hit enter to re-register the dll file.
Type 'exit to close the command prompt window.
Reboot and try to uninstall the program associated with d3d9.dll error.
Are you getting a specific error?

Solution

Jayhawker32

Distinguished

I haven't pinned it down to anything specific other than what I posted, which was from the the reliability history. I finally solved it by doing a clean boot as well as booting into safe mode with networking. I will try re-registering d3d9.dll for the sake of my sanity though.

Edit: When I run the command you suggested it tells me the module failed to load and to check that it's a valid DLL or OCX file

When a program that shares a .DLL with other applications is uninstall, it might delete a shared .DLL too
Your system should have several versions of 'd3d9.dll' in several locations inside the Windows folder.
Do a search for that dll file and see if you find any copies.
Copy one of the newest versions (the 32-bit version) and place it in the 'C:\Windows\System32' folder
Then follow the previous steps to un-register and re-register the dll file.

Jayhawker32

Distinguished

I tried that solution first and I have DirectX installed, so when I run that program it just tells me it's already installed and doesn't do anything.