Can't install Realtek driver

Lsstefan

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Greetings.
I have a problem with my sound.
I own a MSI Z270 SLI PLUS(https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-SLI-PLUS.html#down-driver) and after I install the driver from the website there is nothing in Device Manager.
I do have nvidia drivers installed and I can see the nvidia audio which I read is from the HDMI cable.
I tried installing from Dev Manager with Add Legacy Hardware, it installs it, it appears on the list but it's not working, saying it can't start. I tried all the solutions about starting the device, but still nothing.
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

The request is not supported.

I even tried different drivers from other MSI Z270 boards, but still nothing.

As a side note, W10 is a new install on a new SSD. My old HDD which is plugged has W7 on it. I haven't format that partition yet because I still need to save some things from there.
I also saw that old programs that were installed on W7 work in W10 without installing them again.
Could there be a conflict between the Realteks?

Solution
so the only audio devices that appear in the sound control panel are Nvidia?
So no hidden devices in device manager? (click view, show hidden devices)

Did you try steps 2 & 3 here: https://appuals.com/no-audio-with-this-device-cannot-start-code-10-error-message/

error 10 seems to mean no drivers installed which is clearly wrong.

Have you tried the Playing audio troubleshooter? its in settings/update & security/troubleshoot menu

it seems unlikely but could check in UEFI/Advanced view/settings tab under integrated Peripherals and make sure Audio is enabled (page 47 of manual)

Lsstefan

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Still same error. I couldn't install the new driver because there is no setup, so I installed the previous one from Dev Manager and updated it, but still doesn't work...

Should I uninstall nvidia and try to install realtek again before reinstalling nvidia?

Colif

Win 11 Master
shouldn't need to remove Nvidia as its for hdmi/dp, whereas realtek is for digital or analog out. Not the same things

that is odd not having a setup... hmm, never noticed it used Microsoft catalog links. so it downloads a cab file. Here are 2 ways to install them: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/66346-install-cab-file-windows-10-a.html

one day i should grab them, I am on 7146 and latest is 8224... its been a while. These work, I am not changing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
so the only audio devices that appear in the sound control panel are Nvidia?
So no hidden devices in device manager? (click view, show hidden devices)

Did you try steps 2 & 3 here: https://appuals.com/no-audio-with-this-device-cannot-start-code-10-error-message/

error 10 seems to mean no drivers installed which is clearly wrong.

Have you tried the Playing audio troubleshooter? its in settings/update & security/troubleshoot menu

it seems unlikely but could check in UEFI/Advanced view/settings tab under integrated Peripherals and make sure Audio is enabled (page 47 of manual)

Solution

Lsstefan

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

I'll get on everything you said when I get back home.
nvidia was the only driver before I installed realtek.
Here's how it went and after a lot of install/uninstall/delete etc I even found the steps.

• I had only nvidia driver in dev manager.
    went to MSI, downloaded realtek driver and installed it + restart PC
    went to dev manager nothing there except nvidia.
    tried add legacy hardware and selected realtek, installed and it appears on dev manager but with yellow "!" and code 10.
    updated the driver with the new driver you linked

Now, when I uninstall realtek and delete the folders from Program Files called Realtek and then try to install again from Legacy Hardware, realtek doesn't even show up.
I first have to install realtek from MSI download and then install it from dev manager in order for it to even appear as installed driver...

Thanks for the all the help btw.

Lsstefan

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Thank you SOOOOOO MUCH man. I freaking love you. It was disabled... I got back, Realtek is there update to day, I got microphone and speaker options.
I was actually not going to do the UEFI because I thought it was a long shot and since everything didn't work, I was going to give up.

Thank you again. Much appreciated!!!

Colif

Win 11 Master

I would start your own thread as the only people who would look at this are those already involved in it. You get more attention that way.

lol. I see you have already