abyssaltones

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have had this problem for a long time. I have had this computer for 4 years and it has always had this problem. The computer was bought through Best Buy and never has been able to take a Windows Update. It is a Compaq and has a quick restore disk but no actual copy of Windows. When I first got the PC, within a few months I tried to run Windows Update and I had to pause it because I have dial up. When I restarted the computer, I could move the mouse cursor, but could click on nothing. I called customer service and the guy was baffled of course. His only answer after going through his manual was to start over with quick restore and lose all of my data. After doing this twice I grew tired of it and I was only a kid so it didn't occur to me that I should take it back. When SP2 came out I tried to install it from the website to no avail. Then I even got the free CD upgrade sent to my house. That didn't work either. I get an error that says "The system cannot find the file specified" without saying what that file is. All I know is that my XP is legit because it came with that code stuck on my computer. I just bought a webcam and now I can't install it because it needs Windows XP SP2 (even though the reqs didn't say that specifically). Please help me! I will be most grateful.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
maby your copy of windows is piratet that's why you aren't able to update.
me too haven't install sp2.there is no need for that
(although i never try to install it)

It's not a pirated version... he clearly stated he's got a valid product key on the computer. Being a Compaq computer, it is highly unlikely he would have a pirated Windows.

As for SP2, check Compaq / HP's webpage. There may be some updates for that particular model that you must apply before trying to install SP2. Also, contact tech support and ask them to send you the full restore CDs. They may charge you something like $30 for them... but it will save you a lot of hassle in the long run... especially if you ever have to replace the hard drive. (Quickrestore won't work on a new, unformatted hard drive).

I have found that SP2 is becoming pretty much a necessity. Why people are still trying to avoid installing it, I'll never know. If upgrading to it afterwards is the problem, why not try making yourself a slipstreamed SP2 CD and use that? I've never had a problem installing it fresh... the only problems I had were doing upgrades with systems that already had XP or XP SP1... and even those were very few in number.