[SOLVED] Can't install W7 from cd, unexpected error

Jan 4, 2020
Trying to boot a W7 cd from the dvd drive, Windows starts to load files but then part way through it just stops and gives me an error. I tried disconnecting everything except the ssd I want to install windows on, the cd i'm booting from, and my mouse/kb. The only advice I have been able to find is to set the cd drive in the bios as the first to boot from, but I already have it setup like that and it is spinning the disk each time, it just stops while loading the files. I also tried copying my cd to a usb but I can't get it to boot from the usb at all, it doesn't see that a usb is connected no matter which port it's plugged into.

Would you have some suggestions??

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
I7 processor, 16gb ram, evga 750 gold power supply, msi x99a motherboard, icydock 8 drive 2.5' bay with a single ssd mounted (samsung 850 1tb)

The message says:
Windows Boot Manager
Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

It then says "ENTER=Continue" or "ESC = Exit" but nothing happens when I hit either of those on my kb.

Jan 4, 2020
Sorry for the miscommunication. I was using the terms CD and DVD interchangeably, it is definitely a DVD and it is a legit Windows one.

I upgraded to W10 a couple weeks ago and was having so many issues with it I just wanted to go back to W7. I actually installed W7 just fine, but it didn't give me the option to format the drive first so it kept about 300gb of old data on the drive. I just wanted to wipe the drive and install W7 fresh without retaining the old data so I reformatted the drive and stuck it back in the bay, inserted the dvd I had just used earlier in the day and this time it won't load.

Jan 4, 2020
I’m open to installing W10 but how would that work any differently since I would still need to boot it from dvd or usb and I’m not able to do that right now?

Jan 4, 2020
OK I have taken out the bay and only have the optical drive and ssd connected. Same thing is still happening, the W7 dvd spins up and says "Windows is loading files" but when the progress bar gets 1/8th of the way thru, the disk spins down then restarts spinning and I the progress bar stops progressing. Then I get the error screen.

USAFRet

Titan
OK I have taken out the bay and only have the optical drive and ssd connected. Same thing is still happening, the W7 dvd spins up and says "Windows is loading files" but when the progress bar gets 1/8th of the way thru, the disk spins down then restarts spinning and I the progress bar stops progressing. Then I get the error screen.
Sounds like a failed DVD.

Jan 4, 2020
That's what the error message says too, but I'm having trouble believing it would be bad since it's spinning up fine, it just stops during the process. Plus, I used it to install drivers on the previous Windows install literally a few minutes earlier before I decided to do a complete reinstall.

I will try getting a new dvd drive, however, I wonder if something in the bios is causing the issue. Maybe that's off base since I don't really know anything about the bios other than setting the boot order. But I did see a thread that said that it could be a virus that changed the bios to where it doesn't recognize the sata ports as sata but is set to something else. But how can I check that?

Jan 4, 2020
Had a bunch of issues with the Windows Media Tool but after many attempts I was able to create the usb iso for W10. Booted with that and it worked!!

Many thanks for all the help!