[SOLVED] Can't install win 7 0r 10 on i7 3770k Mobo p8z77-v lk

Jul 23, 2019
Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for what you are doing here to help people with their PC problems.
Let me first tell the story behind my PC's problem first. One day I woke up and found out that my PC, with the below spec, didn't work anymore. I mean when I pushed the power button it did nothing.
P8z77-v
i7 3770k
32GB DDR3 Corsair Ram
650 Watt Overclock Edition Power "Green" brand
1TB SATA Hard Drive Western Digital Blue
At first I thought of PSU failure, but when replaced it with a brand new one, nothing happened plus the green light on my MoBo with the original PSU convinced me to rule out the possibility of the PSU failure. Finally, I took it to a workshop and I was told that my MoBo was dead. I was frustrated and bought a brand new P8z77-v lk MoBo hoping that everything will work fine. Unfortunately, that didn't go as well as I thought.
Here is the problem, when I install the i7 3770K CPU on the new MoBo, it boots just fine into the bios (which I updated it to the latest version which is 1402) where I can see the specification of my RAM and CPU, and etc. However, when I tried to install Win 7 on my PC, I got this error: "B1 initialize library failed 0xc000003f" which is odd. I tried installing windows via a bootable USB no success. I even tried to install win 10, this time I got another error: "B1 initialize library failed 0xc0000229". I tried another CPU which is an i5 3570 and everything worked just fine and I was able to install windows without even the slightest problem. This made me think maybe my CPU (i7 3770K) is also dead. But it strangely boots into the bios successfully. It even allows you to install windows to some extent sometimes. Once, I got to 80% installation but it didn't go any further and gave me an empty screen without any error written or anything. I wonder if my CPU is dead, is it possible to boot into the bios and sometimes let you to install windows although it never completes the installation. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Gh. Imani

Solution
Your welcome. Still, if different ram combinations does work, i hope you can return to 32GB but in a different order. Knowing your i5 works can only blame the i7's fussiness if not faulty.
Jul 23, 2019
Did you try installing Windows with 3770k before updating bios?

Have you cleared cmos after updating bios?

What happens if you install Windows with the i5 and swap the cpu?

Hi,
Thanks for answering.
No, I installed win 7 after I updated the bios and I didn't clear the CMOS. When I try to swap the CPU after win 7 installed using another cpu (i5), it won't boot into the windows and gives me an error saying:
" windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
  1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer
  2. Choose your language setting and click next
  3. Click repair your computer

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019
It is possible. Your i5 works without a hitch so why not the i7? Is it possible whatever happened to your old board affected the i7 too?
I forgot to say once I was randomly able to boot into the windows safe mode with i7 CPU. This never happened again. Does this change the conclusion about i7 being dead. Do we have something like a partially dead CPU? Or a dying CPU. Or if it's dead it's dead.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Only thing left is ram. Troubleshoot different combinations starting with one stick in A2 slot. Possibly the cpu's memory controller is having trouble running 32GB. Might be able to address the issue by adding a bit more dram voltage, 1.55~1.6v.