Can't install Win 8 to brand new SSD as my main drive

blackm0th

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
Help please!

Situation: I'm trying to install Win 8 on a brand new ssd.
To set up the ssd the directions included say "from the home menu screen go to... blah blah blah."
I can't do that since I dont have an operating system installed, and it wont let me install
windows from the install disc unless I set the drive up first. I'm stuck.

Secondary situation: I also have a second internal drive with win 7 on it (currenty unplugged)
that I want to put in this pc, but I want to keep all my files on it, and am not sure how to
get it to win 8 but also keep my files on it after I figure out the first situation.

- Turns on pc
- "Insert proper boot media"
- insert the Win 8 install disk
- Click Install
- Enter product key and accept tos
- "Which type of installation do you want?" Offers upgrade from other version of windows and
custom install. No os is installed, so I click custom.
- "Where do you want to install?" No drivers found
- Click Load Drivers
- Says to insert device driver for my drive and click ok.
- Only have one disk drive, so I would have to eject Win 8 install disk. Do it since theres
no other option available.
- Inserted ssd driver disc and clicked ok as instructed.
- "No signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct
drivers, and then click OK"
- Its the correct disc, and the one provided with the Samsung ssd.
- I've hit a dead end.

- Go back to main install screen
- Click reset pc
- "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

- Reboot PC with Samsung ssd disc in drive
- "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a
key" ...

Solution
Welcome to the TH Community, @blackm0th!

I'd strongly recommend you keep your secondary HDD with your data off the system until you have managed to successfully install Windows 8 onto the SSD. If you have more than 1 drive connected to the mobo at the time of Window install, you are bound to encounter the so-called OS confusion. I'd suggest you go to BIOS and check how your SSD is listed there. Make sure that the SATA mode for it is configured to AHCI for optimal performance. If the clean install is still unsuccessful, try booting into the Advanced options from the installation CD/USB and use the Command Prompt to initialize and format the SSD if necessary.

If the issue is still present, I'd recommend you consider...
Welcome to the TH Community, @blackm0th!

I'd strongly recommend you keep your secondary HDD with your data off the system until you have managed to successfully install Windows 8 onto the SSD. If you have more than 1 drive connected to the mobo at the time of Window install, you are bound to encounter the so-called OS confusion. I'd suggest you go to BIOS and check how your SSD is listed there. Make sure that the SATA mode for it is configured to AHCI for optimal performance. If the clean install is still unsuccessful, try booting into the Advanced options from the installation CD/USB and use the Command Prompt to initialize and format the SSD if necessary.

If the issue is still present, I'd recommend you consider re-creating the bootable Windows 8 media as it might be corrupted.

Hope this helps you. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution