Can't install windows 10 Home onto Samsung 850 Evo M2 SSD

Stirlo

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
Hi guys,

Recently my older boot drive (kingston v300 SSD) had starting failing. Was getting constant "please select proper boot device" message when turning on my pc so I decided to do a fresh install of windows onto my M2 SSD. I used the windows media tool to create an ISO on a USB to use for the fresh install (have done this before, couldn't see why it wouldn't work again). It downloaded onto the USB no problem so I then proceeded to run the install. Turned off PC, set the boot priorities to boot to the USB with the installer first so I could run the install. My PC recognised my SSD (as I had been using it as a storage drive until I decided to do this so I took everything off it and backed up what I wanted to keep). This is where I ran into the first problem. Firstly, it wouldn't allow me to install windows to the M2 SSD as it wasn't formatted correctly (It was MBR, needed GPT). First time I did this using AOEMI software, which worked fine. Which brings me to my latest problem. Now it's formatted correctly, the windows installer begins and starts installing. It completes the "copying files stage" but then gets to 9% at "getting files ready for installation" stage where I get the error message (windows cannot install required files". I tried restarting the installation a number of times but only to get stuck on 9% again. This is where I started researching, which led me to using CMD to clean the drives and format them correctly. I've tried resetting the bios as that can be a problem, as well as having all other drives and even the ethernet cable disconnected. Bios settings are set to what they should be when troubleshooting these problems (sata mode set to AHCI and no overclocks are present) .Nothing works. There are many solutions which I have tried that have led to nothing. Am I missing something?

My PC Specs are:
i7 6700
MSI Z170 Gaming M7
GTX 1070
16GB Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz RAM
Kingston V300 SSDNOW (original boot drive)
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M2 SSD
2TB Seagate HDD

I have considered buying a new version of windows as well as a new SSD to see if that is the problem, but I'd rather not spend 100's of dollars on a solution that may or may not work.
By now my M2 ssd is probably ruined from all the attempts at installing WIndows and number of reformats have been carried out.
I don't know what else to do and would greatly appreciate some help.

Solution
You can't use an external drive to install fresh Windows it doesn't work (well you can make it work but it's a lot of effort).
ALSO NEWS FLASH: SAMSUNG SSD's HAVE BEEN HAVING ISSUES INSTALLING WINDOWS LATELY. I have seen this a dozen times in person and in real life and just using literally any other SSD drive or a regular drive completely fixes the issue. Try using just the regular TB drive and see if that works.

I also once began a format with a drive plugged in externally and just stopped half way through and it magically fixed the drive and allow windows to install.
Recreate your ISO image make sure your installation media is actually working, it might have been corrupted.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried using another USB stick? that last error could be the USB

doubt NVME is ruined from install attempts

You don't need to format drives before running the installer, it can install onto blank drives as it will create the format it needs. Sure, if its in MBR you just delete all the partitions and click next. Just follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Stirlo

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
I tried using an external hard drive but that didn't work either. I read a guide that said if you delete the partitions and create new ones it should install okay but that didn't work (who would have thought).

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017
You can't use an external drive to install fresh Windows it doesn't work (well you can make it work but it's a lot of effort).
ALSO NEWS FLASH: SAMSUNG SSD's HAVE BEEN HAVING ISSUES INSTALLING WINDOWS LATELY. I have seen this a dozen times in person and in real life and just using literally any other SSD drive or a regular drive completely fixes the issue. Try using just the regular TB drive and see if that works.

I also once began a format with a drive plugged in externally and just stopped half way through and it magically fixed the drive and allow windows to install.
Recreate your ISO image make sure your installation media is actually working, it might have been corrupted.

Solution