Can't install windows 10 on unallocated ssd

sotostheone

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I have a pretty old Sandisk ssd,and recently bought a new mb,gpu,cpu and ram.I formatted the ssd,and went to install windows again from a bootable usb flashdrive. After i select langauage and insert the product key,i select the disk that i want windows to get installed.The moment i select the ssd,it starts loading and never gets installed. After restarting a lot of times,i noticed that everytime it creates a smal partition of 499mb,519 or 530.I downloaded windows from dreamspark(i'm a student) and from microsoft,but the result was the same.Even when i try to partition the ssd with more than 500 mb ,it says tha the windows will create a partition for system i select ok and it does the same.Any ideas?

Solution
im pretty sure your MOBO has it. please refer to your manual. if you did all the settings in the BIOS as stated on my previous post and deleted all the partitions, windows will set your SSD as GPT for you. better get the latest version of the win10 installer from the site below if you havent already.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

also, just ONLY attach your SSD during the windows install as @usafret mentioned. you can reattach your secondary sata drives after your windows is successfully installed.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
boot to your BIOS and set the following :
* SATA mode to AHCI
* boot priority to SSD
* hard disk bss priority to SSD
* Boot mode to UEFI/Uefi+legacy/CSM disabled
* Secure boot disabled (ignore if not available)
* save & reset.

redo the windows install on your ssd with booting with your USB EUFI installer. delete all your partitions from your previous attempts. install.

list down your h/w specs so we wont be guessing.

Reactions: BINARYGLITCH

USAFRet

Titan

1. Have only the SSD connected while you do this install.
2. The next time you try this, when it asks 'where', select Custom, and delete ALL existing partitions on the drive.

sotostheone

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

sotostheone

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I did all of the above,exept from the 1st option cause i didnt find anything about sata mode,but nothing changed. It also said tha my ssd is MBR and i had to convert it to GPT,i did it but the result was the same.
Specs: ddr4 8gb 2666hz
ryzen 3 1300x
msi gtx1050ti
asrock A320m
120 gb ssd Sandisk(i dont remember the model)
power supply 850w

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
im pretty sure your MOBO has it. please refer to your manual. if you did all the settings in the BIOS as stated on my previous post and deleted all the partitions, windows will set your SSD as GPT for you. better get the latest version of the win10 installer from the site below if you havent already.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

also, just ONLY attach your SSD during the windows install as @usafret mentioned. you can reattach your secondary sata drives after your windows is successfully installed.

Reactions: BINARYGLITCH
Solution
Mar 27, 2019
boot to your BIOS and set the following :
  • SATA mode to AHCI
  • boot priority to SSD
  • hard disk bss priority to SSD
  • Boot mode to UEFI/Uefi+legacy/CSM disabled
  • Secure boot disabled (ignore if not available)
  • save & reset.

redo the windows install on your ssd with booting with your USB EUFI installer. delete all your partitions from your previous attempts. install.

list down your h/w specs so we wont be guessing.
great troubleshooting my dude, worked first try

TRENDING THREADS