Can't install windows 10 on Zenbook with Endless OS (Asus ux310u)

Nick White

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Hi! I need help with installing windows 10 on Zenbook with Endless OS. Can't change SATA configuration from AHCI to UEFI. There is no options for it. Any suggestions how to do it?

Solution
Where did you acquire the ISO? Any reason you're not letting the "Media Creation Tool" create your bootable USB?

I don't see anything wrong with your Rufus settings, but using different tools can sometimes help with weird/unexplained errors.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
AHCI should be what you need? UEFI is the BIOS, and, when booting from a USB to install Windows 10, you'd select the option that has UEFI mode.
You should have 2+ options when booting from a USB.
1. NAMEofUSBdrive
2. (UEFI) NAMEofUSBdrive.

And you'd select option #2 to boot from/proceed, to install in UEFI mode.

To enable booting from USB http://blog.technotesdesk.com/how-to-enable-boot-from-usb-drive-in-bios-asus-zenbook

Nick White

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Problem is I don't have 2 options from booting. Only one without UEFI. I think i asked a question incorrectly. While trying to install on a partition, it says to enable disk controller but there is not a such thing in BIOS to be changed. After that, I tried tons of things and thought that AHCI could be a problem and forgot about that disk controller. To go back to the first one, disk controller is the issue here i think. Can you suggest anything regarding this?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hmmm, that's a little strange.

The Zenbook should've shipped with Windows 10, so loading optimized defaults (or similarly worded option) in the BIOS should be sufficient. You may have to then re-enable booting from USB.

Where did you obtain/create the USB ?

Are there options for CSM (compatibility)? Is it enabled or disabled?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Where did you acquire the ISO? Any reason you're not letting the "Media Creation Tool" create your bootable USB?

I don't see anything wrong with your Rufus settings, but using different tools can sometimes help with weird/unexplained errors.

Solution

Nick White

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
I used this exact Rufus tool and os version on multiple PC-s and laptops and only on this one I had this kind of an error. I will try media creation tool for now.