Cant install windows 7 - disks controller error

Barnte25

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
Hi
My hard drive went and i bought this as a new one:

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)

My motherboard is a gigabyte 970A-DS3P - dual UEFI bios. Im trying to install windows 7 and its giving me this error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computer BIOS menu.

I press next and then it gives me the error "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information"

I have went into bios and changed the controller settings and to every way i could do. I also clicked new to create a new partition and it gives me the error: failed to create a new partition on the selected unsused space [error: 0x80070017].Does anyone know exactly what setting or what i need to do to be able to insall? It clearly reads the hard drive and functions.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @Barnte25!

I'd recommend you go into the BIOS interface again and make sure you have the SATA mode set to AHCi for your WD BLUE drive. While there, check the boot priority as well. I'd recommend you try creating a new Windows installation media with the same OS version from another computer and try installing it again. This error: 0x80070017 is usually associated with a corrupted ISO. If you haven't tried this already, you should also see how resetting BIOS will affect the process. It might also be a good idea to check your mobo's official website for any updates on the SATA controller & Chipset drivers for your model.

Keep me posted! Hope this helps.
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @Barnte25!

I'd recommend you go into the BIOS interface again and make sure you have the SATA mode set to AHCi for your WD BLUE drive. While there, check the boot priority as well. I'd recommend you try creating a new Windows installation media with the same OS version from another computer and try installing it again. This error: 0x80070017 is usually associated with a corrupted ISO. If you haven't tried this already, you should also see how resetting BIOS will affect the process. It might also be a good idea to check your mobo's official website for any updates on the SATA controller & Chipset drivers for your model.

Keep me posted! Hope this helps.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Barnte25

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
Thanks for getting back to me. The installation disk is from the manufacturer, so i sont think that it is corrupted unless that happens sometimes? Will deffintley try this later and will post the results.
-T

TRENDING THREADS