Can't install Windows 7 from USB

theFBaum

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Hello, I recently finished building my second computer (so not an expert) and when trying to install windows 7 from a bootable USB, it hangs after "windows is loading files" on the following screen where you are supposed to click NEXT. I am trying to install on a SSD.

More information: My keyboard and mouse lose power when the windows logo is popping up. To verify the USB drive wasn't the issue, I tried using it to boot on a laptop and it worked fine. This new build is meant to replace my old setup. The old setup used a HDD with windows 7 already installed. When trying to boot from this hard drive, it fails and I get a BSOD. When trying to do a system repair, similar thing happens when trying to install win7 on the SSD, I lose power to mouse and keyboard and it hangs on the first screen. BIOS recognizes everything. Next I will try is unplug everything except the SSD and try to install again.

System: Windows 7 64-bit
i7-3770K Intel CPU
Intel 520 240GB SSD
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MoBo
Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Thank you for your help!

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Make sure the USB stick is the highest boot priority in your BIOS. I've had a lot of trouble in the past with Windows on USB. From my experience unplugging all of the storage drives INCLUDING THE SSD is a good thing to try. Don't try to load with the SSD plugged in. Try just getting into the Windows installer and then either restart with the SSD plugged in and try again or plug the SSD in before progressing in the Windows installation. Also, try booting with just 1 stick of RAM in in single channel mode, for some reason this also seems to help some people. Try disabling the other boot options in the BIOS as well. If none of that ^ works try to load the boot menu manually on the Motherboard startup screen (like F6 or something like that) and manually boot from the USB stick.

theFBaum

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Thank you for the quick response and tips.

I tried all of the above, SSD unplugged, 1 stick of RAM, etc... USB has top priority because everything is disconnected. However, it still behaves the same way, with keyboard and mouse losing power during 'starting windows' screen, then everything is unresponsive on the following screen (where you select language and some other information). I heard something about clear CMOS values, but this is a new MB, so I don't think that is an issue.

when installing or building a pc before you install the os check the rev of the mb bios and check to see how low it is to the last bios update. with the z77 chipsets there been cpu code..memory code and usb updates. also check the usb setings that both the usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports are on and set to full on. with newer mb you can have them set to 1/2 on to where they shut off till windows 7/8 turns them back on. also make sure your usb sticks and keyboard are on the usb 2.0 ports.

theFBaum

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks again for your help! I believe the problem has been solved.

I updated the bios through the Internet Flash option. Once bios was updated, I attempted to boot, but it failed at the same part as previous attempts. I switched both mouse and keyboard to USB 2.0 ports on the rear (I looked for setting the USBs to full on, but I it only had enable or disable options). There are only two USB 2.0 ports on the back, so I attempted to plug the stick into the front USB 2.0 port, but it wasn't seen in the bios. For kicks, I moved it to the front USB 3.0 went into the bios and saw the USB shown as a generic mass storage device, as opposed to the specific Kingston USB storage. Then when I exited the bios, ta-da, the installation began successfully. Restarted the computer with the SSD connected and everything seems fine so far.

Final setup: Every drive disconnected except SSD and bootable USB stick. Only one RAM connected and updated BIOS.

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Glad to see you got it firgured out, it amazes me how many issues there seems to be with booting from a USB flash drive. You'd think manufacturers would realize that a lot of people install Windows that way. Good luck with your rig.