[SOLVED] Can't install windows 7 on my pc

Jun 4, 2021
I have an Asus x540S pc and it has been previously working on win10 and now i want to install win 7 on it using my usb drive (tested working on another computer). After it finishes installing and after it restarts the loading win 7 screen appears then i get a BSOD with the error code 0x0000007e.I have CMS enabled, secure boot disabled and i converted the hdd to gpt because win 7 installation hinted that it needs a gpt hdd

Solution
After it finishes installing and after it restarts the loading win 7 screen appears then i get a BSOD with the error code 0x0000007e.
That means that you did everything correctly, your system boots fine so forget all the settings about gpt/mbr/legacy and so on, booting is not the issue so leave everything as it is.

You should try downloading all drivers from the laptop website and make a new installation media by slipstreaming all those drivers and do a new installation that would have all drivers available.

It could also be that some component is failing causing this message, if it runs win 10 without issues though then that's not the problem.

Lutfij

Titan
Have you checked to see if the BIOS for the laptop is up to date? As for your installation media for Windows 7, where did you source it from? Windows 7 doesn't need a GPTY drive, it can work off an MBR drive just fine. In BIOS is the storage controller set to AHCI?

Jun 4, 2021
i just updated the bios, i found it a bit outdated since 2016, but it still crashes at the windows starting screen, and i've already used the same installation media to install on another computer and it worked perfectly , in the sata configs i only have AHCI anyways, i can't switch to anything else.

After it finishes installing and after it restarts the loading win 7 screen appears then i get a BSOD with the error code 0x0000007e.
That means that you did everything correctly, your system boots fine so forget all the settings about gpt/mbr/legacy and so on, booting is not the issue so leave everything as it is.

You should try downloading all drivers from the laptop website and make a new installation media by slipstreaming all those drivers and do a new installation that would have all drivers available.

It could also be that some component is failing causing this message, if it runs win 10 without issues though then that's not the problem.

Solution