[SOLVED] can't install windows 7....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I Have just recently built a brand new pc, however i can't seem to install windows 7 pro x64 active on it.
specs
Ryzen 5 3600x
asus rog strix b450-f gaming
geil evo x 3200 2x8gb ram sticks
rx 580 8gb oc
250gb super boot nvme
125gb hdd
1tb hdd
my problem is that no matter what i seem to do, poweriso, usb, cd, and or even sd cards, none seem to allow me to do anything once it gets to the install bit. usb's "mouse and keyboard" ps2 or usb keyboards/mice's seems to just lock the moment it gets to the install screen. poweriso windows setup experienced unexpected error. To Install windows, restart the installion right after it gets to windows activated setup is starting every-time. cd/sd's does the same thing usb does.

Solution
if you update your win 7 install disk with the drivers, then you can easily install it with usb 3. my b450 GB aorus pro does not even have usb 2 on it yet i had no problem installing and using win 7 as my daily driver.

check this out for the tool that will easily make it all work right away!!

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads...SkyLake-KabyLake-CoffeLake-Ryzen-Threadripper

takes a while but in the end your win 7 iso will install on any new hardware AMD or intel. i have done it many times now and have no problems using this updated iso for new hardware installations. do note though that you do still need win 7 drivers for the mobo features which are not always available so be sure your mobo has win...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wouldn't bother. There's no driver support including lan either. System be seriously gimped and no internet connection, unless you buy a network card? Id rethink this, Win10 isn't all that bad and you can enter your 7 key to activate.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
thats just it i don't have a key i have a permanently active copy of windows 7 r2 with all vers Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate. so even if i wanted to upgrade to windows 10 i would still need to install 7.

I freshly installed Win10 on two systems using Win7 Pro & Ultimate key and both were accepted. Microsoft is allowing you to use Win7 keys to activate Win10 without doing the upgrade thing. You're good to go.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure what you meant by your other system. To activate Win10 with a Win7 licence means you won't be using that key anymore for Win7 on another computer. Since you were trying to install Win7 on your new system, which licence were you thinking of using?

USB3 drivers are not included in the windows 7 install media.
There is a method to include them in a slipstream, but it is a bit complicated.
Easiest is to use a sata dvd for the install.

Many non supported windows 7 apps will run on windows 10.
There are some compatibility options that you can apply to an app that may let them run.
About the only apps that simply will not run are those that have 16 bit coding and need a 32 bit os to run.
Windows 7 is not much fun.
The instrumentation is intrusive and all are turned on by default.
One thing which helps is to use windows classic shell which make navigation look more like windows 7

Reactions: white.a.drew
photo shop tools that are no longer supported with windows 10
You can use windows 7 in a Virtual machine, with the virtualization hardware that all modern CPUs have it's no more demanding than running any other program, you just need more RAM/storage.

If you identify your network card and search around you will probably find a driver that will work if you consider installing windows 7 natively,worst case scenario you get a usb dongle wifi adapter.

If you want an easy method to test your system with windows 7 then,on an already working system you can use imagex to transfer the installation.wim from a installation usb/dvd to a hdd/sdd so that the installation will be done on the target system,no slipstreaming and no nothing.
All you need is imagex you can download gigabytes of stuff from MS to get it,or you can search for imagex alone on the web.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744531(v=ws.10).aspx
The only command needed is this one.
(Of course you'll have to make sure that the drive has an active and bootable partition)
imagex /apply N:\Images\my-windows-partition.wim 1 W:\

All you have to do is change the drive letters, if your dvd or mounted iso is D:
and the target hdd/ssd is E:
you use
imagex /apply D:\sources\install.wim 1 E:
Make triple sure that you use the proper drive letter for the target, all data on that disk will be destroyed.
type cmd on the search bar and run command
the 1 at the end tells it which list item to use.
If you have a dvd with multiple versions you can use
dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\x86\sources\install.esd /index:1(2-3... )
to see which is which.
Make a folder with all the drivers you can find on the disk so they will be available to windows after its booted up and your done.

As stated first make sure to make the drive primary and active so that it will start up when you put it into the other system.

USB3 drivers are not included in the windows 7 install media.
There is a method to include them in a slipstream, but it is a bit complicated.
Easiest is to use a sata dvd for the install.

Many non supported windows 7 apps will run on windows 10.
There are some compatibility options that you can apply to an app that may let them run.
About the only apps that simply will not run are those that have 16 bit coding and need a 32 bit os to run.
Windows 7 is not much fun.
The instrumentation is intrusive and all are turned on by default.
One thing which helps is to use windows classic shell which make navigation look more like windows 7
The issue i was facing with usb install was usb 3 ports. For feature notice on this, with all ryzen boards windows 7 install is not support via usb3 or with usb keyboard and mice. I had to use a usb 2.0 port, with ps2 keyboard and mouse uising a adapter to plug both in at once.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you update your win 7 install disk with the drivers, then you can easily install it with usb 3. my b450 GB aorus pro does not even have usb 2 on it yet i had no problem installing and using win 7 as my daily driver.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads...SkyLake-KabyLake-CoffeLake-Ryzen-Threadripper

takes a while but in the end your win 7 iso will install on any new hardware AMD or intel. i have done it many times now and have no problems using this updated iso for new hardware installations. do note though that you do still need win 7 drivers for the mobo features which are not always available so be sure your mobo has win 7 drivers to use. otherwise the whole exercise is wasted.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution

takes a while but in the end your win 7 iso will install on any new hardware AMD or intel. i have done it many times now and have no problems using this updated iso for new hardware installations. do note though that you do still need win 7 drivers for the mobo features which are not always available so be sure your mobo has win 7 drivers to use. otherwise the whole exercise is wasted.
That works so much better slower in the long run. But worth all the time and effort thank you so much. Runs just like it would if microsoft did it themself. Thank you so much

Status
Not open for further replies.