Question Can't install Windows 8.1 or 10 on Lenovo Laptop

Amdregaz

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Hy guys,
I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 or 10 64bit from a flash drive on this laptop:

The laptop freezes as soon as I get to the startup of the installer like this guy:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...eginning/ab6d4be2-8de1-4117-8eb0-27d3654eec34

Bios is the latest one.
The laptop has 4gb of ram and a Adata ssd 480gb.

The laptop has Win 7 SP1 64bit on it and I've tried to install windows from the setup after the computer booted on Win 7, but after the restart it freezes at the same thing.

In bios sata controller is set to AHCI.

Anyone knows what can be done?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Have a detailed look through all of the options in the BIOS. There may be some protected partition or locked OS install option in there?

it seems like some kind of hardware lockout is taking place so the only place I can really think to look is the bios.

if you could Delete all the partitions on the SSD in another machine it might help the install process. Doing that would at least rule out any kind of software lockout.

Other things to consider are battery health should be checked, you need to be using the correct power adapter for the laptop and memory should be tested with memtest86

Amdregaz

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
Have a detailed look through all of the options in the BIOS. There may be some protected partition or locked OS install option in there?

it seems like some kind of hardware lockout is taking place so the only place I can really think to look is the bios.

if you could Delete all the partitions on the SSD in another machine it might help the install process. Doing that would at least rule out any kind of software lockout.

Other things to consider are battery health should be checked, you need to be using the correct power adapter for the laptop and memory should be tested with memtest86
I can install Windows 7 with the same memory stick/flash drive which is an Adata S102 16gb, but if I make it bootable with Win 8/8.1 or 10, it freezes.

I took the SSD out of the laptop, it still freezes.

Amdregaz

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
You are installing from what?

If USB flash drive, how did you make it or where did you get it?
I'm installing Win 10 from an Adata s102 pro 16gb flash drive with the creation tool from Microsoft's website.
An ISO for Win 8.1, also from Microsoft's website but with Rufus. I've tried MBR and GPT, both of them froze.
I've installed Windows 7/8.1/10 on other computers with no problems but I've never encountered this problem, a hard freeze on installer startup.

Amdregaz

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
The weird thing is that the laptop came with 8.1 installed, but I'm not a 8.1 fan and I installed 7. Now I don't understand why I can't install 8.1 or 10 but 7 can be installed, it doesn't freeze at startup installer

Amdregaz

Honorable
Jul 12, 2017
I've tried that as well, the cursor is not even appearing.
I think it's a hard freeze.
I forgot to mention that the laptop initially came with a 500gb hard drive which I swapped with the SSD 480gb Adata.
I don't really get it:
  1. The laptop had windows 8.1 when I bought it
  2. It freezes only with Windows 8/8.1 and 10
  3. Windows 7 can be reinstalled, it does not freeze at that screen, I can boot it from the same flash drive.
  4. On Lenovo's website there are drivers for all 3 versions of Windows
WTF is wrong with this laptop, got no clue.

Last edited: