Can't Install Windows 8 from CD to a brand new out of the box 1TB WD HDD [LONG POST]

CharlieIsMyDarling

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
So to shorten up this story, because it's a lot: I bought a new, full tower computer case, and a new PSU and moved the innards of my previous case to the new one last week. Plug it in, everything comes on, fans working, can boot into bios, fantastic. So, after initial logo boot up, I get a message "Reboot and select proper boot device". I'll list in detail what happened later on in the post, but to keep this paragraph short, i'll skip ahead. So that happened, googled around and tried a bunch of different solutions. Anyway, I decide to just reinstall windows completely using my Win 8 disk. So when booting from the windows 8 disk, and trying to freshly install windows 8 on a completely formatted and wiped HDD, it simply won't let me, telling me windows can't be installed/can't find the appropriate partition, things to that effect. Skip ahead a lil bit, decide to buy a entirely fresh HDD from best buy. Hook it up, go into windows 8 CD, and despite this being a BRAND NEW HDD STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, I get the same message.

^So that's the short story. The computer comes on, I can access the bios, I can see all the information and the normal peripherals listed there, but I can't install windows 8 to a brand new HDD, fresh out of the box, bought TODAY. I can only think that I fucked up something in the transfer of the parts, but if I did I wouldn't have a clue about how to narrow down what it could be.

Now here's a more explained version:
Win 10 64 bit (Win 8 64 Bit Installation CD)
HDD 2TB Seagate
Secondary HDD WD 500GB
8GB RAM
MSI Z77 GD65 Mobo BIOS Ver 10.11
i5 3570k
GTX 970(Possibly Broken gives Code 43 when PC previously worked)
So I bought a new case (HAF 932) from Newegg and a new PSU (EVGA 650 Watt), did a bit of dusting and switched all my parts over. Turn on, everything seems to be fine, get pass bios loading screen MSI thing, get the message "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device". I thought ok, let's check the boot order. Get into bios, make sure Seagate 2TB is first on the list, save and reboot. Same message given again. I open up the computer and Noticed I've put the 2TB Seagate into port 2 whilst the 500GB was in Port 1. Switch them around, hoping it will fix it. Nope. Go through the boot order and disable everything except the 2TB Seagate. Also doesn't work, same message. Take out the CMOS battery, put it back in, then hold down the power button to discharge(google suggestion). Reboot, same issue. Throw in my original Windows 8 installation CD, with the intention of doing a repair. The repairs "couldn't be made". Try Using the Refresh option, get given the message "The Drive where Windows is installed is locked Unlock the drive and try again. I try every other option on the Installation CD, none of them function. I try to follow a youtube tutorial where one of the steps in the command prompt was "create partition efi" or something to that effect after disk check, and I got the message along the lines of "Your drive must first be converted to GPT". I stopped there as these are all things fairly out of my experience range and I don't want to cock things up further by doing something wrong in the command prompt.

So, at this point I decided to just reinstall Windows 8, but I wanna keep my main 2TB seagate and maybe get the data off it later if possible, so I unhook it and decide to wipe the 500GB WD secondary. Put in the Win 8 CD. Now, neither remove all files/transfer files options work. Using the command prompt and google suggestions, I wipe/delete/format the drive, getting it into totally unallocated space (it is listed by the Windows CD and the Command prompt as such). It STILL will not let me install. So using more google tutorials, I manually set up the partitions and such. The HDD itself is listed as "healthy" in the Command Prompt. It STILL won't let me install, giving me the same error messages. At this point I figured I must have just corrupted the harddrives some how, go out to best buy, and just get a WD 1TB HDD for like $50. Come home, hook it up, a brand new HDD out of the box, and I get the exact same error message.

SO, after all that, does anyone have a licking idea of what I have fucked up on? It is possible I have short circuited/static shocked something?

My next steps (later on, fairly frustrated right now) is to remove the GTX 970. I had assumed it was a windows 10 glitch that didn't allow it function, but I suppose it could itself be faulty. I also have some different sets of RAM, though I'm not sure they're compatible with my board but I think they are. I bought some new CMOS batteries and plan to try that first, though I don't expect it to work.

Now, in the transfer to the new case I did a bunch of dusting and reapplies thermal paste to the CPU. In case that matters.

And finally as it currently stands:

SPECS:
NZXT Gamma Case (Now HAF 932)
Win 10 64 Bit (free updated originally from Win 8.1, which was updated from Win 8)
8GB Crucial RAM
MSI Z77 GD65 Bios Ver 10.11 (up to date)
i5 3570k currently at default clock ( was at OC of 4.5ghz but defaulted bios when trying to fix Code 43 on the GTX 970)
GTX 970 (which was being listed by Win 10, but had a code 43 error, could get no video signal from it)
XFX 650 Watt PSU NON-Modular (Now a Modular EVGA 650 Watt)

Solution
You've definitely got an issue, as it shouldn't be that complicated.

Is there an option to 'format' before you proceed to attempt the install? If so, try that first.

If not, try this:
Only have the drive you want to install Windows on attached (preferrably in port #0)

Then:
(after everything in " " hit 'enter')

*Boot from the DVD
*Accept license agreement
*Advanced Install
*Shift+F10
*Type "diskpart"
*Type "list disk" (the one you're looking for should show up as 'disk 0' (or whichever port it's attached to)
---If it shows 'offline' type "online disk". If it shows 'online', move on--
*Type "select disk 0" (or whichever number)
*Type "create partition primary"
*Type "active"
*Type "format quick fs=ntfs"
*Type "exit" (exits...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You've definitely got an issue, as it shouldn't be that complicated.

Is there an option to 'format' before you proceed to attempt the install? If so, try that first.

If not, try this:
Only have the drive you want to install Windows on attached (preferrably in port #0)

Then:
(after everything in " " hit 'enter')

*Boot from the DVD
*Accept license agreement
*Advanced Install
*Shift+F10
*Type "diskpart"
*Type "list disk" (the one you're looking for should show up as 'disk 0' (or whichever port it's attached to)
---If it shows 'offline' type "online disk". If it shows 'online', move on--
*Type "select disk 0" (or whichever number)
*Type "create partition primary"
*Type "active"
*Type "format quick fs=ntfs"
*Type "exit" (exits diskpart)
*Type "exit" (exits command prompt)

Continue as normal, and see if it works.

Solution