Question Can't install windows on RAID 0 ASUS Maximus hero VIII Alpha with 2xSamsung 850 evo's

Feb 18, 2019
Hello Everyone

So today I tried to install Windows 10 on a RAID 0 volume, but Windows just doesn't want to install on it.

These are my specs:
MB: Asus Maximus hero VIII Alpha
CPU: Intel SKylake 6600k
RAM: 2x4GBs
Storage 2xSamsung 850 Evo 250GB

This is what I did:

Made a RAID0 Array in the bios through the Intel RST tool.
Change from AHCI to RAID0
Saved changes
Tried to install windows 10 from a USB stick which I bought in 2016

I think I need to add the right drivers for the installation tool to succesfully create a bootable volume. However, I don't know where to find the right Intel drivers and how to put it properly on a USB stick.

If anyone can help me with this problem, that would be much appreciated.

Feb 18, 2019
faster responsiveness, although a single SSD is fine I still want squeeze out some extra performance. Even if it isn't much, I still want to learn how to do it for a future build.

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Try this. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005

Download then Unzip. Copy folder to USB flash drive.
Boot to your windows install drive & when you get to the point you can't see your drives click on the install driver button direct to the flash drive that has your F6 flpy driver.

It will install then you should be able to see your drives.

In most cases newer versions of windows 10 don't need these drivers. When you get done installing windows Make a recovery disk after of coarse you install all updates that will brig you to current version. delete all old version files before making recovery so you have the latest version on the recovery disk. after that you can trash the F6 flpy folder as you will likely never need it again

Last edited:

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I will say though that the 850 EVO drives are not the best to use in RAID as performance can vary too much in some situations especially as you get close to running out of the SLC cache.. 850 Pro's much better for RAID configuration than EVO's. The Pro's have no SLC cache so performance remains consistent which is good to have in a RAID setup. When the EVO switches to the TLC section after you run out of SLC cache you may run into trouble if the two drives switch not at the same time. Not a likely scenario but is possible.

As long as you don't write file to it at any given time that are larger than the SLC cache you should be fine as routines built into firmware will empty the cache during idle time. This does not affect reads unless you try to read the files before offloaded to TLC media & even then the performance delta not huge for reads only writes. Writes are where the problems can arrise.

Last edited: