Cant install windows on samsung 970 pro

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Hello! So i bought a new rig im currently having an Asus rog formula xí.

My problem started when i was trying to install windows from usb. In boot meny bios i dont find the ssd.
I cant install windows on since it dont find the windows i get a black screen with a status error.

i dont know if i have to fix some settings, i just bought a new 860 just to test if there was something wrong with my setup. The 860 could install windows just fine but i dont find that drive either in the boot menu.
i really wanna use the 970 pro but somehow my mobo wont let me,, one time i got to windows install menu and couldnt find a patrition to install windows on. What can i do for my system to find this 970 pro, i tryed both the m2.1 and m2.2 ports, none of them can find my hd, is there a primairy one i should choose? Any tips is more than welcomed.

https://imgur.com/a/GxlohOg

https://imgur.com/a/KjQqbbq

Here you can see that the mobo can detect the ssd:s but in the boot meny there is none. i could however install windows on the 860 evo. Im sure there is some bios settings that has to be done. Im terrible at computing, With all my heart i will thank the one that is gonna fix this,

Solution
The mainboard has been set to use RAID which has taken over the 970 as a RAID device. To confirm, go to the bios/advanced /PCH Storage configuration. One item says SATA Controller 1 Mode selection. That is set to RAID and should be set to AHCI. But you must use a command prompt to do that. The other way is to reinstall windows . Here are the steps to change that setting to AHCI

Click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt--administrator

Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI
Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode...
The mainboard has been set to use RAID which has taken over the 970 as a RAID device. To confirm, go to the bios/advanced /PCH Storage configuration. One item says SATA Controller 1 Mode selection. That is set to RAID and should be set to AHCI. But you must use a command prompt to do that. The other way is to reinstall windows . Here are the steps to change that setting to AHCI

Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI
Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

http://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci

Solution

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Hello dear karen! Thank you so much for trying to help me! Could you please clerify if there is more than one command prompt in your msg, i copied the whole thing and it wont work, im really bad at computing and english. Is there 3 or less msg that i need to put in command promt, thanks for clarify that

1) Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (Alternatively : bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)

2( Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup

3) Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI

4) Save changes and exit bios and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.

5) Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).

6) Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)

7) Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016

Wow for the first time i can actually see my samsung 970 SSD in the samsung magicican program! What slots should it be in? I have a m.2.2 slot and a m.2.1. I owe you big time karen if this will work im so happy right now i wish you only the best you are so smart it is insane. I had this problem for 3 days strait i talked to all my vendors supporters and other forum you are the first one that pherhaps fixed my problem, i dont know what to say, god bless you, i wish i had your braincapacity! hehe, am i free too try install windows on this 970 driver?

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
i provided the same picture on every support mail from different people even in asus forum no one has come up with this solution like you did... you are smarter than al them.

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016

https://imgur.com/a/FZysEKJ so i found The 970 evo in The Windows installation Windows and I Was gonna install Windows on it so i proceed to install Windows. I was 90 %then computer restarted and I got this Bluescreen with that error code.

Try reinstalling

Steps to install windows

D/L the latest install files from MS to an install device

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings. CSM should be enabled. Select UEFI for boot device control and Legacy for the other options. Also ensure the SATA mode is AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive, (Windows Boot Manager will also work), and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. (If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete").

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
With all your information i just installed windows it is working perfectly, THANK YOU SO MUCH. you are just unreal. In speccy i wanna see temps and i can not find my temps, on the harddrive it says unknown

https://imgur.com/a/iGU0Ews Is there some bios settings, i also wonder if my hardrive should me in the m2.1 slot or m2.2 slot Wich is better for me? Karen if there is anything i can do for you, ANYTHING just ask me