[SOLVED] Can't Install Windows with VMD and NVMe ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
So I recently just got my new PC

And I have 1 NVMe SSD for Windows
and x2 10TB HARD DRIVES for Raid 1

My motherboard is Z690 Gaming x DDR4

I'm using VMD for Intel Rapid Storage Technology for the Raid 1 setup, but when I enable it I cannot boot to my NVMe Windows install, and the NVME not showing up on the "NVME Configuration"...
Is there something I'm missing?

qT0UtJq.jpeg

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Then according to the list...isn't your CPU not supported for VMD? Because as far as that page suggests, only the XEON ones are mentioned as supported. Is there a way to determine if your CPU is compatible with VMD? Maybe someone can confirm that if possible?

Maybe so but why are we arguing how unreliable RAID 1 is when at the end of the day, its OPs choice whether or not its worthwile? I'm not defending OP here but OP has already decided t to go with RAID 1 knowing of the cons it ends up with.

It may be my choice, in the end, to perform knee surgery on myself, but if I ask a bunch of doctors for advice on performing knee surgery on myself, they're going to strongly urge against it. And it would be very odd to blow up on them and order them to stop telling me that it's a bad idea and give me advice that I demand.

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
Intel® VMD support on 11th/12th Generation platforms only with an Intel® VMD capable BIOS. (See more details here)

during OS install inject raid driver, thats all there is to it
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ptane-memory-11th-and-12th-gen-platforms.html
second zip file, extract it and load it when asked for drive selection
I managed to get this to work..

1. I had first to disable in my BIOS "Enable VMD Global Mapping" and "Map this Root Port under VMD"(Not the SATA Controllers one). and it let me use VMD with the NVME.
  2. I just had to install these RST drivers... and the hdds just started working.
Thank you!