[SOLVED] Can't Install Windows with VMD and NVMe ?

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
So I recently just got my new PC

And I have 1 NVMe SSD for Windows
and x2 10TB HARD DRIVES for Raid 1

My motherboard is Z690 Gaming x DDR4

I'm using VMD for Intel Rapid Storage Technology for the Raid 1 setup, but when I enable it I cannot boot to my NVMe Windows install, and the NVME not showing up on the "NVME Configuration"...
Is there something I'm missing?

qT0UtJq.jpeg

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
It sounds like that is by design.

With Intel VMD enabled, all PCI devices behind the VMD controller, for example, NVMe controller inside NVMe SSDs, will be invisible to the operating systems on the server.

Solution
This is a permanent restriction due to the Intel VMD design.
This issue has no impact on NVMe SSD's usability, the NVMe SSD will be managed by the Intel VMD controller.

https://datacentersupport.lenovo.co...-when-intel-vmd-is-enabled-lenovo-thinksystem

Only answer in link above is turn it off to see nvme

This shows how to see drive after array created and you want to install onto nvme, need to install vmd drivers during install process - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044458/

But if you already installed windows on nvme, and added array after, I don't know raid well enough but someone else might have an answer for you.

possible you need to use Intel rapid storage technology software and create a software array instead.

Most here would ask you why you want RAID at all.

I'm sure you have a very good reason.
we may question it on Nvme but with 2 10tb hdd, why not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Why not? it’s a complete waste of 10tb. If the OP isn’t going to keep backups on one of them then raid is completely useless because it’s not a form of back up. And raid one isn’t for performance either

Problem is people seem to think that raid solutions are for backup purposes. THEY ARe NOT

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Problem is people seem to think that raid solutions are for backup purposes. THEY ARe NOT

In case one of the drives fail, the other still works so while it's not a backup, it's still a good safety measure.

...that being said I don't quite know what VMD does so if that is something that you cannot do on OPs case...well i guess you can just turn it off and wait for updates to fix it?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
...that being said I don't quite know what VMD does so if that is something that you cannot do on OPs case...well i guess you can just turn it off and wait for updates to fix it?
I didn't either - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww.../intel-volume-management-device-overview.html
its in the bios.
I think if you turn it on it assumes all drives attached at for RAID, and unless you install Windows after VMD is in place, the win 10 NVME is controlled by the VMD and can't boot.
I think op needs to use software raid unless they start install process again?

I am willing to be wrong :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

And any RAID 1 still needs a real backup. To protect against all the other forms of data loss.
Exactly, so Raid 1 is buying him nothing except wasting 10 of his terabytes when that could be a back up drive

Better idea would be to buy another huge drive as back up and raid zero those two hard drives. At least he would get higher performance out of the 2 10 terabyte drives

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
Why not? it’s a complete waste of 10tb. If the OP isn’t going to keep backups on one of them then raid is completely useless because it’s not a form of back up. And raid one isn’t for performance either

It’s never a waste of 10TB when you are using it daily it’s still safe and I also do external backups, performance is actually good 200mb is enough Ive used raid one for years as a backup, you just need some proper nas drives.

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
I didn't either - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww.../intel-volume-management-device-overview.html
its in the bios.
I think if you turn it on it assumes all drives attached at for RAID, and unless you install Windows after VMD is in place, the win 10 NVME is controlled by the VMD and can't boot.

I don’t mind installing windows again, but it won’t let me since I cannot see my nvme and if i disable VMD and then install I will still have to enable VMD, do I really have to do Software raid? Once something happens to the nvme or the windows drive the raid is broken?

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
In case one of the drives fail, the other still works so while it's not a backup, it's still a good safety measure.

Wait? Haha it will take them years to do something.. there should be a way

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
It sounds like that is by design.

https://datacentersupport.lenovo.co...-when-intel-vmd-is-enabled-lenovo-thinksystem

Only answer in link above is turn it off to see nvme

This shows how to see drive after array created and you want to install onto nvme, need to install vmd drivers during install process - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044458/

But if you already installed windows on nvme, and added array after, I don't know raid well enough but someone else might have an answer for you.

possible you need to use Intel rapid storage technology software and create a software array instead.

we may question it on Nvme but with 2 10tb hdd, why not.
You still need VMD on for Intel Rapid Storage to work inside windows..

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
its in the bios.

Ok..so something is bothering me, what CPU is OP using?

Supported Processors
  • Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors (Generation 1, 2 and 3, All SKUs)
  • Intel® Xeon® W processors
  • Intel® Xeon® D processors

If the CPU OP has isn't any of these, then there's a compatibility issue in that case? I may be wrong here and obviously OP has a supported CPU assuming this is the case.

RAID 1 is good if you really really need uninterrupted uptime, and in the case of physical drive fail.

It does absolutely nothing for all the other forms of data loss.
Exactly, so Raid 1 is buying him nothing except wasting 10 of his terabytes when that could be a back up drive

Better idea would be to buy another huge drive as back up and raid zero those two hard drives. At least he would get higher performance out of the 2 10 terabyte drives

Nobody is saying anything about RAID 1 being better or as good of a backup. it has its merits and in OPs case, if one fails, OP can get it replaced under warranty if doable.

Having Raid 0 on the other hand doesn't make it any better either as if one drive fails, all data is lost. Regardless of such, additional backup is a safe bet and I'm positive that OP is aware of this. If not, well...now they know its not a backup tool.

Reactions: DANI3L

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
Ok..so something is bothering me, what CPU is OP using?

Supported Processors
  • Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors (Generation 1, 2 and 3, All SKUs)
  • Intel® Xeon® W processors
  • Intel® Xeon® D processors
If the CPU OP has isn't any of these, then there's a compatibility issue in that case? I may be wrong here and obviously OP has a supported CPU assuming this is the case.

Nobody is saying anything about RAID 1 being better or as good of a backup. it has its merits and in OPs case, if one fails, OP can get it replaced under warranty if doable.

Having Raid 0 on the other hand doesn't make it any better either as if one drive fails, all data is lost. Regardless of such, additional backup is a safe bet and I'm positive that OP is aware of this. If not, well...now they know its not a backup tool.
My cpu is i7-12700k but compatibility issues with what?

USAFRet

Titan

This discussion of the theoretical benefits and drawbacks of RAID 1 is veering far off getting the OPs system up and running.

And it is never a safe bet to assume what a person knows or does not know.
I've seen many many people in here who assume a RAID 1 is a viable backup routine on its own.

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
This discussion of the theoretical benefits and drawbacks of RAID 1 is veering far off getting the OPs system up and running.

I've seen many many people in here who assume a RAID 1 is a viable backup routine on its own.
Please stop the talk about that, this is way off the topic, this is none of their business, I've been doing raid 1 for years with a proper backup, and it only saved me, but now upgrading to a nvme its just a pain in the a**

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
My cpu is i7-12700k but compatibility issues with what?

Then according to the list...isn't your CPU not supported for VMD? Because as far as that page suggests, only the XEON ones are mentioned as supported. Is there a way to determine if your CPU is compatible with VMD? Maybe someone can confirm that if possible?

Maybe so but why are we arguing how unreliable RAID 1 is when at the end of the day, its OPs choice whether or not its worthwile? I'm not defending OP here but OP has already decided t to go with RAID 1 knowing of the cons it ends up with.

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020
Then according to the list...isn't your CPU not supported for VMD? Because as far as that page suggests, only the XEON ones are mentioned as supported. Is there a way to determine if your CPU is compatible with VMD? Maybe someone can confirm that if possible?

Maybe so but why are we arguing how unreliable RAID 1 is when at the end of the day, its OPs choice whether or not its worthwile? I'm not defending OP here but OP has already decided t to go with RAID 1 knowing of the cons it ends up with.
So how do i have the VMD options?

DANI3L

Commendable
Mar 5, 2020