Can't join Win 2000 Pro Client to Win 2000 Adv Server Doma..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

You have a server and the Domain likely named with the same NetBIOS
name and since it is a DC you will have a lot of trouble changing that
name.

Is there a way to find out the netbios name? In the hindsight, while
installing AD using dcpromo, there was an option to specify a NETBIOS
name & I'd specfified the name as 'HCLC1' coz for some reason it was
accepting the name 'HCLC'

There's your problem right there -- as I predicted.
You need to remove these DNS servers from the NIC.
(Put them in the DNS SERVER MMC property for
Forwarding if you wish -- but right them down somewhere
so you will know them if/when you need them.)

Done + forwarding.

Latest IPConfig Result:

Server:
Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hclc
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : hclc.net

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hclc.net

Ethernet adapter Private:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139A/B/C/D RTL81XX
10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-E8-50-2B-A5

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Public:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-26-8E-71

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

FYI...these are original values from public as is...earlier I had
changed the values to prevent hack as this site is not secured.

Client:
Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hclc-client
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : RTL8139A/B/C/D RTL81xx 10/100Mbps
PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-E8-50-2D-4F

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Note: The SM's are similar for client nic & private nic in server.

Also ran ran both netdiag & dcdiag, however error somes up in the
section where it tries to test the DNS...

DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
[FATAL]: The DNS registration for 'hclc.hclc.net' is
incorrect on all DNS servers.
PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server
'192.168.0.1' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.

DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
Failed to enumerate DCs by using the browser.
[NERR_BadTransactConfig]

LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
[WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC 'hclc.hclc.net'.

Of course -- as long as the INTERNAL DNS server can resolve the
Internet -- and you cannot "mix" them in any case so it isn't a real
choice.

After removing & forwarding the external nic dns names ...internet is
accessible now.

Yes. You can use NAT (Part of RRAS) on the Server or perhaps better
go out and buy one of those little $20-80 "router/firewall/hubs" and
hook
both machines to it so they are not exposed directly on the Internet.

Forwarding has helped accessibility to internet now. So, NAT not reqd I
guess.

Did you go through the repair procedures after fixing the Server NIC?

I had run both dcdiag /fix & netdiag /fix. A few errors there though.
The results r in the previous message. What are the 'repair procedures'
that need to be done now after fixing the server NIC?

Did you actually fix the server NIC yet?

Are you referring to running dcdiag or netdiag..then I've already done
that. Plz clarify.

You need to REGISTER the DC in it's DNS server database -- DCDiag /FIX
and/or NetDIAG /fix and Restarting NetLogon and then if necessary
reading the article and just FIXING the registration.

Already done. Infact whenever I modify anything, I go through this
ritual of flush, register, stop & start netlogon, to refresh & update
the dns.

(I saw your DCDiag output above, but there is no point in going through
half of my checklist, stopping and not telling me if you did the OTHER
things indicate instead of making me tall you each one in a new round
of several messages and replies.)

I'd religiously followed that checklist you had given in earlier
message, 1 after the other:)

Its the same news on Client--Network name cannot be found ---while
joining !!!

Is it reqd at this stage to have a look at dsa.msc & find out the users
& client I've added there & their properties?
y is the errors & warings coming up in dcdiag & netdiag result in
mesage above? I've done everthing till date that you have told?

"thestriver" <searchhere@gmail.com> wrote in message
> 1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
>
> Already set to Secure updates.

Ok.

FYI: You really should adopt a sensible message 'quoting'
strategy. It will make you communication more efficient and
more effective in solving your problems.

> 2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
> that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
>
> I'm sure it specified so...going by ipconfig result on Client in my
> message above. I've also made similar the Subnet mask of both, the
> Private NIC (See IPConfig result above) & Client to 255.0.0.0. Also,
> Enabled Router & Remote Access.

Ok. But the REAL ISSUE was that this was wrong on your DC.

> 3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
>
> If I specify the same IP/NIC values that is present now in the server's
> Private NIC (See IPConfig result above), to both the NIC's, then will
> it allow internet accessibility?

Yes, of course. If you setup the DNS server correctly (e.g., as I
instructed or even if you let it recurse itself.)

> I guess you mean to say that both
> NIC's have to have the same values in IP/NIC?

No, what I said is they must ONLY specify the internal DNS
server (set). The 'other' NIC can specify the same, another
internal DNS (you don't have one though), or just be left
blank in some cases.

> But will it allow me to access the internet then?

Of course -- as long as the INTERNAL DNS server can resolve the
Internet -- and you cannot "mix" them in any case so it isn't a real
choice.

> It could also mean that there is no need for the second NIC if internet
> connectivity is not required, correct? But, it is reqd as I need to
> access internet also.

Resolves INTERNET DNS this way:

DC --> Internal DNS (happens to be on same DC) --> Resolves the
Internet (through forwarding to ISP or recursion using Root Hints.)

> Is there a workaround so that I could access the internet as well? FYI,
> I have only 1 Server & 1 Client.

Yes. You can use NAT (Part of RRAS) on the Server or perhaps better
go out and buy one of those little $20-80 "router/firewall/hubs" and hook
both machines to it so they are not exposed directly on the Internet.

> 4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
> be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or
> indirectly)
>
> As I mentioned earlier...there is only 1 Server & 1 Client, both
> connected through cross over cable. So there is only 1 domain & 1 DNS
> Server (Both on the same Win2000 Adv Server)

Right. But it emphasizes that your internal DNS CLIENTS (all internal
machines really) must resolve ALL internal names and use only the
INTERNAL DNS Server (set) which can resolve all of these names.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

TRENDING THREADS