Can't limit sharing to specific user.

I can share data between all three WinXP-pro computers on my network,
but I want only TWO computers of the THREE computers on my network to be
able to share data. If I enable "simple file sharing" in my main WinXP
computer, all computers on the Network have access to the file
designated to be shared.

To enable more selective sharing, the "simple file sharing" the check in
the check-box associated with Tools/FolderOptions/View was removed. I
then seek to set the "Sharing/Permission" by removing "Everyone" and
designating the appropriate other WinXP computer on my network. MY
PROBLEM IS that when I seek to browse my network to find the appropriate
"object name," it does not show the other computers on my network, yet
if I go to "My Network Places," it lists the shared directories on the
other computer on the network.

Why do the other computers on the network NOT show up when one browses
for "objects." Must I define a "Group" and User Group Memberships on
the machine that is to have access to the directory being shared on the
other machine?

WindsurferLA

windsurferLA wrote:
> I can share data between all three WinXP-pro computers on my network,
> but I want only TWO computers of the THREE computers on my network to
> be able to share data. If I enable "simple file sharing" in my main
> WinXP computer, all computers on the Network have access to the file
> designated to be shared.

Do not use "Simple File Sharing". Turn that off. You have Windows XP
Professional, you can do som much more with sharing and permissions without
that on.

> To enable more selective sharing, the "simple file sharing" the check
> in the check-box associated with Tools/FolderOptions/View was
> removed. I then seek to set the "Sharing/Permission" by removing
> "Everyone" and designating the appropriate other WinXP computer on my
> network. MY PROBLEM IS that when I seek to browse my network to find
> the appropriate "object name," it does not show the other computers
> on my network, yet if I go to "My Network Places," it lists the
> shared directories on the other computer on the network.

So map them directly by bios name or IP. \\computer-name\share-name or
\\ip-address\sharename.

> Why do the other computers on the network NOT show up when one browses
> for "objects." Must I define a "Group" and User Group Memberships on
> the machine that is to have access to the directory being shared on
> the other machine?

Is the "Computer Browser" service enabled? Are they all members of the same
workgroup/domain? Do each of the three computers have the same
username/passwords on them?

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> windsurferLA wrote:
>
>>I can share data between all three WinXP-pro computers on my network,
>>but I want only TWO computers of the THREE computers on my network to
>>be able to share data. If I enable "simple file sharing" in my main
>>WinXP computer, all computers on the Network have access to the file
>>designated to be shared.
>

> Do not use "Simple File Sharing". Turn that off. You have Windows XP
> Professional, you can do som much more with sharing and permissions without
> that on.
>

>>To enable more selective sharing, the "simple file sharing" the check
>>in the check-box associated with Tools/FolderOptions/View was
>>removed. I then seek to set the "Sharing/Permission" by removing
>>"Everyone" and designating the appropriate other WinXP computer on my
>>network. MY PROBLEM IS that when I seek to browse my network to find
>>the appropriate "object name," it does not show the other computers
>>on my network, yet if I go to "My Network Places," it lists the
>>shared directories on the other computer on the network.
>

> So map them directly by bios name or IP. \\computer-name\share-name or
> \\ip-address\sharename.

As my router is set for DHCP, each machine does not have an assigned IP
address. I'm not sure how to look up "BIOS ADDRESS." I do note that
they are identified on the Network by a rather long odd name, for
example - Ibm-fc0baff6344. I expected to see my machines listed by such
an identifier when seeking to grant them access to specific directories.

>>Why do the other computers on the network NOT show up when one browses
>>for "objects." Must I define a "Group" and User Group Memberships on
>>the machine that is to have access to the directory being shared on
>>the other machine?
>

> Is the "Computer Browser" service enabled? Are they all members of the same
> workgroup/domain? Do each of the three computers have the same
> username/passwords on them?

What do you mean by "Computer Browser" service. Each machine can
individually access the internet through the router without problem.

All are shown to be members of the same "Network Place."

The machines all have different passwords; must the user passwords be
consistent between machines? There is some overlap in user names, but
that should not cause confusion. I would expect that the Network to be
able to distinguish between "User Dennis on the IBM" from "User Dennis
on the Dell,"

Any insight you could provide would be helpful. Thanks

> windsurferLA wrote:
>> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>> windsurferLA wrote:
>>> I can share data between all three WinXP-pro computers on my
>>> network, but I want only TWO computers of the THREE computers on my
>>> network to be able to share data. If I enable "simple file sharing"
>>> in my main WinXP computer, all computers on the Network have access
>>> to the file designated to be shared.
>>
>> Do not use "Simple File Sharing". Turn that off. You have Windows
>> XP Professional, you can do som much more with sharing and
>> permissions without that on.
>>
>>> To enable more selective sharing, the "simple file sharing" the
>>> check in the check-box associated with Tools/FolderOptions/View was
>>> removed. I then seek to set the "Sharing/Permission" by removing
>>> "Everyone" and designating the appropriate other WinXP computer on
>>> my network. MY PROBLEM IS that when I seek to browse my network to
>>> find the appropriate "object name," it does not show the other
>>> computers on my network, yet if I go to "My Network Places," it
>>> lists the shared directories on the other computer on the network.
>>
>> So map them directly by bios name or IP. \\computer-name\share-name
>> or \\ip-address\sharename.
>
> As my router is set for DHCP, each machine does not have an assigned
> IP address. I'm not sure how to look up "BIOS ADDRESS." I do note
> that they are identified on the Network by a rather long odd name, for
> example - Ibm-fc0baff6344. I expected to see my machines listed by
> such an identifier when seeking to grant them access to specific
> directories.

BIOS NAME.. Meaning the name of the computer.
Right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on "Computer
Name" tab.. Look at the part labeled "Full Computer Name" - that is your
Fully Qualified name, and in your case, probably just ends in a period.
Typing \\Full_Computer_Name at the Start -> Run prompt and clicking OK (with
the correct substitution for Full_Computer_Name) should give you a list of
shares on said computer (if they are not administrative/hidden shares.)

Unless you have effective DNS or WINS setup (or an updated HOSTS file), then
I consider "My Network Places" unreliable (I do anyway actually.) It is
better just to know the names of the machines you are trying to connect to
and type them in and connect to the shares.

>>> Why do the other computers on the network NOT show up when one
>>> browses for "objects." Must I define a "Group" and User Group
>>> Memberships on the machine that is to have access to the directory
>>> being shared on the other machine?
>>
>> Is the "Computer Browser" service enabled? Are they all members of
>> the same workgroup/domain? Do each of the three computers have the
>> same username/passwords on them?
>>
> What do you mean by "Computer Browser" service. Each machine can
> individually access the internet through the router without problem.

"Computer Browser" service.. It's a service that runs on your computers to
broadcast their existence to other computers on the same network. Start ->
Control Panel -> Administratove Tools -> Services.. Look for the "Computer
Browser" service on each machine. Make sure (in your case - I usually turn
this off in my setups) it is set to Automatic startup on each one and reboot
for good measure.

> All are shown to be members of the same "Network Place."

That's another reference to "My Network Places" - for which you need to add
the shares manually or have a WINS server/DNS server/HOSTS list configured
to really utilize this effectively and even then, I would rather
(personally) have it not exist. heh

> The machines all have different passwords; must the user passwords be
> consistent between machines? There is some overlap in user names, but
> that should not cause confusion. I would expect that the Network to
> be able to distinguish between "User Dennis on the IBM" from "User
> Dennis on the Dell,"

The machines (once you stop using Simple File Sharing) must all have the
same usernames/passwords. If there is a "Dennis" with the password
"D0gma2005!" on machine #1 and you want to access a share on machine #2
without having it PROMPT YOU for a username/password - then there better be
a user named "Dennis" with the password "D0gma2005!" on machine #2 as well.
=)

> Any insight you could provide would be helpful. Thanks

Hope that helps!

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> to really utilize this effectively and even then, I would rather
> (personally) have it not exist. heh
>

>>The machines all have different passwords; must the user passwords be
>>consistent between machines? There is some overlap in user names, but
>>that should not cause confusion. I would expect that the Network to
>>be able to distinguish between "User Dennis on the IBM" from "User
>>Dennis on the Dell,"
>

> The machines (once you stop using Simple File Sharing) must all have the
> same usernames/passwords. If there is a "Dennis" with the password
> "D0gma2005!" on machine #1 and you want to access a share on machine #2
> without having it PROMPT YOU for a username/password - then there better be
> a user named "Dennis" with the password "D0gma2005!" on machine #2 as well.
> =)
>

>>Any insight you could provide would be helpful. Thanks

Thanks for the hints... I now have a much better understanding of what I
need to do.