[SOLVED] cant locate my old files on a newer pc and os

Oct 27, 2018
I have bought a new pc (windows 10) and added my old hard disk (with windows 7 on it), anyway i was going to back it up then format the hard disk so before i did i went ahead and deleted the windows folder on the older hardrive but when i go to the users in it to find the things i had on my desktop and documents i cant locate them, were they in the windows folder and i deleted them? because i cant find the user i had under my name only "public" (i had password protection on that windows user is that why its maybe hidden?)

Solution
In Windows 7 the user directory by default is in C:\Users not in the Windows directory. Not sure why you would delete the Windows folder to begin with if you were just going to format the drive, soon as you format it, it would have deleted all the existing folders. Deleting it first before the format would just be a wasted extra step. And now you can't even boot it on your old computer to get the files.

Turn on show hidden and system folders and make sure you are on an administrator account, see if you can see your user account then on the original drive.

Run Recuva on the new computer and have it scan the old disk to see what files it can recover that you deleted.
In Windows 7 the user directory by default is in C:\Users not in the Windows directory. Not sure why you would delete the Windows folder to begin with if you were just going to format the drive, soon as you format it, it would have deleted all the existing folders. Deleting it first before the format would just be a wasted extra step. And now you can't even boot it on your old computer to get the files.

Turn on show hidden and system folders and make sure you are on an administrator account, see if you can see your user account then on the original drive.

Run Recuva on the new computer and have it scan the old disk to see what files it can recover that you deleted.

Solution