Can't login to Windows after deleting users in C drive permissions.

fumojen

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Hello all,

Like i stated above, i was trying to set right permissions for my C drive in properties when i intentionally(but stupidly) deleted all other accounts except mine from the C drive Security tab. After a reboot, the login screen of Windows did not show any users. I've tried getting in the Safe Mode as well but no help. Ctrl+Del or Win+R doesn't work. System Restore doesn't work but i can get in to the Windows repair screen where the machine prompts me to login into my default account and then i can use the Command Line within the Repair Screen. I've tried enabling the secret admin account but no luck also because not even that one has the permission to access C drive.

So i need to re-add those user profiles to C drive permissions using only the Command Line

I don't know what to do at this point. A system re-install would be my last chance. Any suggestions is appriciated.Thanks in advance.

Solution
Programs won't work if you just dump them into a folder, win 7 will have no record of them in its registry so it won't run them. They need to be installed to work. Can't you get its set up files online? there isn't much not online now

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows doesn't work well if you delete all user permissions except yourself, it needs the others to do its work. Doing that is basically locking self out of PC. Shame these is no way to backup user accounts so you can reload them if you messup - even the registry offers that service.

Anything on C drive you want to rescue? Try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

think only choice is a reinstall

fumojen

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Thank you very much for the reply. I wish i knew it earlier. I'll try out the method you suggested and then will do a reinstall.

What if i copy the entire C drive but then replace it with the new one except for the Windows folder which will remain a clean install? If it's can't done, is there a way for me to rescue a program which i lost the setup file? i guess copying it to the Program Files wouldn't work either.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Programs won't work if you just dump them into a folder, win 7 will have no record of them in its registry so it won't run them. They need to be installed to work. Can't you get its set up files online? there isn't much not online now

Solution

TRENDING THREADS