Question Can't Maintain Connection To Server

Nov 23, 2018
Hello everyone,

I built my pc about a month ago, and had no problems up until now. I logged on to CS:GO today to find that when I joined any game, I have awful lagback, freezing and I get disconnected awful. This happens in all online games including Fortnite, Apex Legends and Sea of Thieves. I can use my internet for anything else (posting this, hulu, youtube, discord), it is just games I have issues with. I have tried restarting my pc, resetting my wifi and resetting my wifi adapter. Nothing seems to be solving this issue. I reset all firewall settings. Anyone have any ideas? I am using a USB plug and play wifi adapter, 600mbps. When my lag spikes, my ping also increases.

Ralston18

Titan
Just one computer but the problem could be something somewhere else.

Does the wireless USB adapter get warm or even very hot? If so, it may be failing.

However take a broader look at things just as a matter of elimination:

First, physically inspect your network connections and cables for damage, loose, connections, and so forth.

Look for splitters (1 cable in, 2,3, or four cables out) with respect to coax. Splitters (also referred to filters) often cause problems.

Second, swap out cables (one at a time) with known working cables be they coax, telephone, or Ethernet.

Run "ping", "tracert", and "pathping" targeting game sites and other known working websites.

You should be able to determine if there are any issues within your network, between your network ad ISP, or further along somewhere.

Who has admin rights to your router? The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide more information.

Nov 23, 2018
Just one computer but the problem could be something somewhere else.

Does the wireless USB adapter get warm or even very hot? If so, it may be failing.

However take a broader look at things just as a matter of elimination:

First, physically inspect your network connections and cables for damage, loose, connections, and so forth.

Look for splitters (1 cable in, 2,3, or four cables out) with respect to coax. Splitters (also referred to filters) often cause problems.

Second, swap out cables (one at a time) with known working cables be they coax, telephone, or Ethernet.

Run "ping", "tracert", and "pathping" targeting game sites and other known working websites.

You should be able to determine if there are any issues within your network, between your network ad ISP, or further along somewhere.

Who has admin rights to your router? The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide more information.
Sorry for late reply, but I found that my wifi adapter was getting hot and thought it was failing. I purchased another one on amazon and this one is not working well either. The same thing is happening to me. I just ran a speed test on my desktop and then on my mac. Here are the results.

Desktop
Download: 13.2 mbps
Upload: 5.28 mbps

Macbook Air:
Download: 44.6
Upload: 9.87

I have tried everything, I switched usb ports etc. Still, I have a slow connection on my desktop that is impossible to game on. I don't think it has anything to do with my router because I still have incredibly fast speeds on my mac. Any other ideas?

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model USB adapters? Slow one and new one....

Is the new wireless adapter also getting hot or just "not working well"? If the latter, there may be a configuration issue. Check the configuration/wireless network settings. Reinstall the drivers.

Other ideas:

Try the wireless USB adapter in another USB port.

Try the wireless USB adapter while connected to a USB extension cable to raise the wireless adapter up and about. Away from the host computer.

Try the wireless USB adapter on another known working computer. Determine if the problem follows the wireless adapter or stays with the computer.