[SOLVED] Can't make a decision which 1440p monitor to buy.

Dec 17, 2020
Hello,

I've been looking for a new monitor for a couple of days now, but I can't make a decision.

My budget is around 350 euro's and these two monitors really caught my eye:

- MSI Optix MAG322CQR
This is an 32 inch, 1440p Curved VA panel with 165hz refreshrate and is on sale right now from 479 euro to 349 euro. But the reviews on this model are sometimes very bad but some People really love this monitor.

- Gigabyte M27Q
This is an 27 inch, 1440p Flat IPS panel with 170hz refreshrate. That one sells for 339 euro atm. The reviews on that monitor are quite good, but I also read alot about IPS monitors having backlight bleeding..

My whole PC is made with MSI parts so thats why I keep coming back at the MSI 32 inch monitor, but I really want to make a choice now.

I'm currently using a BenQ XL2411 monitor which is an 24 inch 1080p TN panel with 144hz refreshrate, but that's only usable with DVI and I upgraded my PC with an Ryzen 5 3500x and a RTX 3060 Ti which doesnt have a DVI port, so I'm now using it at just 60hz.

I never had a bigger screen then 24 inch, so 32 inch looks nicer in my opnion (Go Big or Go Home lol)

I will be using it only for Gaming and YouTube and the games that I play are mostly FPS games like Escape From Tarkov, Fortnite, Call of Duty Cold War.

Hopefully you guys can help me out with this, so I can finally make a decision!

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hello,

I've been looking for a new monitor for a couple of days now, but I can't make a decision.

- MSI Optix MAG322CQR
This is an 32 inch, 1440p Curved VA panel with 165hz refreshrate and is on sale right now from 479 euro to 349 euro. But the reviews on this model are sometimes very bad but some People really love this monitor.

- Gigabyte M27Q
This is an 27 inch, 1440p Flat IPS panel with 170hz refreshrate. That one sells for 339 euro atm. The reviews on that monitor are quite good, but I also read alot about IPS monitors having backlight bleeding..

I will be using it only for Gaming and YouTube and the games that I play are mostly FPS games like...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You will rarely find something everyone likes (and if I did I would question it) so its what you think of monitor that counts for more than what others think. I would go see them both in person if you can as i feel seeing screens before you use them might help, as its possible just something about one of them bugs you.

i would grab the 32inch 1440p 165 if you have a GPU that can run it at 165. the size difference makes reading screen a lot easier than smaller screens at 1440p. I went from a 27inch 4k screen to a 31.5 inch 1440p screen just a few weeks ago - https://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-32GK650F-B (was suggested to me by 2 mods here who also have it)(this is not an advert)

I doubt anyone can actually tell the difference between 165 & 170. I think they are fooling themselves if they say they can. It will get silly before it ends, "I can tell this infinite htz screen is slower than this other infinite htz screen" and marketers will continue to convince people there is a difference.

Hello,

- MSI Optix MAG322CQR

- Gigabyte M27Q

I will be using it only for Gaming and YouTube and the games that I play are mostly FPS games like Escape From Tarkov, Fortnite, Call of Duty Cold War.

Hopefully you guys can help me out with this, so I can finally make a decision!

Thanks in advance!
I like the 32" size, but between those two units, I would go with Gigabyte M27Q since it has better quality than the MSI Optix.

You will rarely find something everyone likes (and if I did I would question it) so its what you think of monitor that counts for more than what others think. I would go see them both in person if you can as i feel seeing screens before you use them might help, as its possible just something about one of them bugs you.

i would grab the 32inch 1440p 165 if you have a GPU that can run it at 165. the size difference makes reading screen a lot easier than smaller screens at 1440p. I went from a 27inch 4k screen to a 31.5 inch 1440p screen just a few weeks ago - https://www.lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-32GK650F-B (was suggested to me by 2 mods here who also have it)(this is not an advert)
That LG is a beaut.

Solution
Dec 17, 2020
I like the 32" size, but between those two units, I would go with Gigabyte M27Q since it has better quality than the MSI Optix.

Better quality as in since it's a IPS panel? Because I read a lot about IPS panels and a panel lottery. That there is a lot of panels with an extreme amount of Backlight Bleeding. I've also read some reviews about the Gigabyte monitor having this problem. Also this is still a problem with IPS monitors in the more expensive range.

That's why I'm still in doubt.

Dec 17, 2020

I doubt anyone can actually tell the difference between 165 & 170. I think they are fooling themselves if they say they can. It will get silly before it ends, "I can tell this infinite htz screen is slower than this other infinite htz screen" and marketers will continue to convince people there is a difference.

Do you use your monitor for gaming as well? If so, how is the ghosting and blacksmearing with that VA panel? I myself are more and more attracted to the 32 inch VA monitor variants after more research, because I read a lot about IPS monitors is more like a lottery with Backlight Bleeding.

Better quality as in since it's a IPS panel? Because I read a lot about IPS panels and a panel lottery.
Nothing to do with the panel technology...

That there is a lot of panels with an extreme amount of Backlight Bleeding. I've also read some reviews about the Gigabyte monitor having this problem. Also this is still a problem with IPS monitors in the more expensive range.

That's why I'm still in doubt.
It is hard to find the perfect piece of hardware, so you will have to go with the closest match to your needs and no one else could make that decision for you or you won't be happy.

Reactions: Erase92

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you use your monitor for gaming as well? If so, how is the ghosting and blacksmearing with that VA panel? I myself are more and more attracted to the 32 inch VA monitor variants after more research, because I read a lot about IPS monitors is more like a lottery with Backlight Bleeding.
i should be but i haven't recently as its summer and I try to keep room cool by not running PC hot all day.
@anort3 plays games on his all day though so he might have an opinion on that.