[SOLVED] Can't make flash drive start program automatically

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I'm trying to make a flash drive start a program automatically. I think I have the syntax correct but it doesn't work. In the root directory I have a file named autorun.inf which contains these lines of text:

[autorun]
ICON=Support\PEARL.ICO
;OPEN=Support\ViewPics.exe
ShellExecute=Support\ViewPics.exe
UseAutoPlay=1

The Pearl icon shows but the drive opens to the root directory instead of running the program. The target file is present and will run manually.

So, what's wrong?

Oh yes, I'm running the latest update to Windows 10

Solution
Thanks for your reply.

I was intending to use this feature to send drives that run a family history program automatically to about 50 family members. I guess the fact that the ability is usually disabled makes this impractical so now it doesn't matter whether I get it to work.

I got the syntax from here. I guess howtogeek hasn't kept up with the times.

Thanks again for the help.

I would not bother with a flash drive for that. Use cloud storage and just email them the link. Setup a folder with the program, give instructions how to copy the program to the computer to run it. Mailing 50 flash drives is a bit cumbersome when the internet is designed for easy file sharing world-wide with a simple link.

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for your reply.

I was intending to use this feature to send drives that run a family history program automatically to about 50 family members. I guess the fact that the ability is usually disabled makes this impractical so now it doesn't matter whether I get it to work.

Thanks for your reply.

I would not bother with a flash drive for that. Use cloud storage and just email them the link. Setup a folder with the program, give instructions how to copy the program to the computer to run it. Mailing 50 flash drives is a bit cumbersome when the internet is designed for easy file sharing world-wide with a simple link.

Solution