Question cant make my windows drive bootable

May 8, 2019
My Drive C has windows installed and all my programs. I have a 2nd SATA drive (Drive D) that I must have set up a long time ago as the bootable drive (I dont know why or how) -this drive does not have windows on it. Recently I formatted Drive D. Now my computer wont start! I have tried many solutions I've found from the net but nothing is working so far. Drive C shows as Active and Primary. Drive D shows as System, boot, Active, Primary. I have tried using Partition manager. I tried installing windows on Drive D in the hope I can then change the boot up drive to C. Tried startup repair. Tried DISKPART in CMD. Tried Bootrec commands but keep getting 'Element not found'. Any help would be really appreciated :)

Ashckroft

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2015
Information about the PC ?

EDIT:
Try to plug in ONLY the Windows drive.

Option 1
Double check that it's the Windows drive.Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd at the Repair Console command prompt.Reconnect the other drive.Delete or move the boot files on the additional drives via the Repair console. (They are C:\bootmgr, and C:\boot\bcd.)Type Dir first to make sure you're not in the Windows partition.Reboot into the BIOS and make sure the hard drives are booting in the right order.
Option 2
If C is marked Active, go with Startup Repair run from booted DVD/CD up to 3 separate times with reboots, ignore everything that pops up.
Write System MBR to C which Startup Repair is automated to do if multiple
times.

When you install windows and you have 2 drives.Unplug the second one.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019
Hi. I tried both of your options.
Bootrec /RebuildBcd gives an 'element not found' error. And I couldnt find the boot files -they werent in those locations.
Option 2 didnt work either.

But after some more trial and error, SUCCESS! I used Easy BCD and created a 'new entry' which then on re boot gave the option to use my desired windows to start :)
Thanks for your reply.

TRENDING THREADS