Question Can't manage my fans speeds anymore (SpeedFan)

leogunfour

Prominent
Jun 3, 2018
Hi,

My fans are getting me crazy.

I used SpeedFan for years without having a single issue.
But recently (I couldn't tell when the problem started to occur), I can't manage to tweak my fan speeds as I'd like to :
  • Automatic fan curves are not followed and my fans seems to run at 35% all the time
  • Manual fan speed are not kept : when I put, for example 100%, my fans start to spin faster, but one second later, they reset to nearly 35% (on SpeedFan, it's still displayed 100 %).
Fewer informations : I've got a M5A97 R2.0 motherboard, haven't done SpeedFan or bios update recently.

I thought it could be the bios, because when I disable Q-Fan (the fan monitor on my bios), I'm able to tweak my fan speeds through SpeedFan.
But I don't think my bios could manage my GPU fans, and I can't manage to tweak my GPU fans speed neither.

After a lot of reboots, I said 'f*** it', played Destiny 2 for a moment and tried with afterburner. And surprise : I was able to control my fans. I then tried with SpeedFan, and it worked too. But when I restarted my computer, none of these softwares were able to control my fans speed. When I set my fans speed to 100 % (case fans or GPU fans), they keep speeding up for a second then resetting. :( I've tried to play Destiny 2 again for a moment, but didn't manage to make SpeedFan work again.

I don't want to disable Q-Fan since SpeedFan worked well until now and I don't want to have an airplane taking off the ground everytime I start my computer, up to SpeedFan start.

Does anyone encounter a similar problem?

Thank you!

cin19

Titan
Because you can control the fan speed with MSI afterburner, why not just use it as long as you can control the fan speed. And I think most of us use the MSI afterburner.

In other hand, if you have to use the speedfan, may try to update it. Keep in mind, I don't use the speedfan so that I don't know that can solve the problem or not.

Oct 16, 2019
MSI Dragon center overrides any other settings, even the windows settings, so I would suggest you to check if you made any adjustments there. The dragon center was reseting my power settings to power saving no matter which program I used, even after picking through the bios as soon as I started windows it was on power saving, so I switched power plan in the dragon center to my preferred and deleted dragon center.

leogunfour

Prominent
Jun 3, 2018
@cin19
As I said, it can't control my fans speed with Afterburner.
And Afterburner can't manage case fans speed.
I already have the latest speedfan version.

@ilijadanil
I don't have MSI dragon installed.

I tried to uninstall SpeedFan today, and needed to uninstall the SpeedFan service too.
When i reinstalled SpeedFan, everything was working fine, with SpeedFan and Afterburner. But as soon as I restarted my computer, non of these softwares were able to manage my fans speeds.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS