Question Can't manage my fans speeds anymore (SpeedFan)

leogunfour

Prominent
Jun 3, 2018
Hi,

My fans are getting me crazy.

I used SpeedFan for years without having a single issue.
But recently (I couldn't tell when the problem started to occur), I can't manage to tweak my fan speeds as I'd like to :
  • Automatic fan curves are not followed and my fans seems to run at 35% all the time
  • Manual fan speed are not kept : when I put, for example 100%, my fans start to spin faster, but one second later, they reset to nearly 35% (on SpeedFan, it's still displayed 100 %).

Fewer informations : I've got a M5A97 R2.0 motherboard, haven't done SpeedFan or bios update recently.

I thought it could be the bios, because when I disable Q-Fan (the fan monitor on my bios), I'm able to tweak my fan speeds through SpeedFan.
But I don't think my bios could manage my GPU fans, and I can't manage to tweak my GPU fans speed neither.

After a lot of reboots, I said 'f*** it', played Destiny 2 for a moment and tried with afterburner. And surprise : I was able to control my fans. I then tried with SpeedFan, and it worked too. But when I restarted my computer, none of these softwares were able to control my fans speed. When I set my fans speed to 100 % (case fans or GPU fans), they keep speeding up for a second then resetting. :( I've tried to play Destiny 2 again for a moment, but didn't manage to make SpeedFan work again.

I don't want to disable Q-Fan since SpeedFan worked well until now and I don't want to have an airplane taking off the ground everytime I start my computer, up to SpeedFan start.

Does anyone encounter a similar problem?

Thank you!

Because you can control the fan speed with MSI afterburner, why not just use it as long as you can control the fan speed. And I think most of us use the MSI afterburner.

In other hand, if you have to use the speedfan, may try to update it. Keep in mind, I don't use the speedfan so that I don't know that can solve the problem or not.

Oct 16, 2019
MSI Dragon center overrides any other settings, even the windows settings, so I would suggest you to check if you made any adjustments there. The dragon center was reseting my power settings to power saving no matter which program I used, even after picking through the bios as soon as I started windows it was on power saving, so I switched power plan in the dragon center to my preferred and deleted dragon center.

leogunfour

Prominent
Jun 3, 2018
@cin19
As I said, it can't control my fans speed with Afterburner.
And Afterburner can't manage case fans speed.
I already have the latest speedfan version.

@ilijadanil
I don't have MSI dragon installed.

I tried to uninstall SpeedFan today, and needed to uninstall the SpeedFan service too.
When i reinstalled SpeedFan, everything was working fine, with SpeedFan and Afterburner. But as soon as I restarted my computer, non of these softwares were able to manage my fans speeds.