[SOLVED] Can't manage to overclock my computer

quake004

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Every time I try to change the settings to overclock my computer it stops booting and I have to do a clear CMOS.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (14nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 43.03 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB DUAL Video Card
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I've tried with the values in this link. And I've also tried just changing the clock speed and voltage:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ x37 / 3700 Mhz
Dynamic Vcore (DVID) offset @ +0.120V

Leaving the rest the same. But I had no luck. Why can't I use those values when I have the same cpu and ram and a similar motherboard?

Solution
You can't copy any other peoples settings and expect it to work. All you can say is: "This is the ballpark figures I should be getting".
Your settings might be off by 5-10%. Doesn't sound that big a difference? Well, that is 200 Mhz on the CPU.
Silicone has variations. And the best silicone tends to get sold to Enterprise where manufacturer can get a better price for it.

Start by OCing one component. CPU is easiest. Put Vcore voltage at 1.35 - 1.375, whatever you feel comfortable with. Some decent LLC setting. I can't tell you what that is because it's different on every motherboard and brand. Vcore should drop during multicore loads. But it shouldn't crash the system. If Vcore goes UP instead, you have too aggressive LLC.
Start by...

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
My guess would be the ram speed is already taxing the CPU. Even though it's the same CPU model you have the luck of the draw, not every CPU is identical.

You could try to disable XMP and retry the overclock, might work better, might not.

I had a 1600x and just bought a used 3700x and it works much better. More stable as I would get pretty frequent game crashing with the 1600x with the ram at 3200mhz even though it tested stable in memtest.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
You can't copy any other peoples settings and expect it to work. All you can say is: "This is the ballpark figures I should be getting".
Your settings might be off by 5-10%. Doesn't sound that big a difference? Well, that is 200 Mhz on the CPU.
Silicone has variations. And the best silicone tends to get sold to Enterprise where manufacturer can get a better price for it.

Start by OCing one component. CPU is easiest. Put Vcore voltage at 1.35 - 1.375, whatever you feel comfortable with. Some decent LLC setting. I can't tell you what that is because it's different on every motherboard and brand. Vcore should drop during multicore loads. But it shouldn't crash the system. If Vcore goes UP instead, you have too aggressive LLC.
Start by increasing the CPU multiplier til it no longer boots, maybe 100 Mhz at a time. That is your limit. Step back a notch or two. Some step back 100 Mhz, others 50 Mhz. I don't care about 50 Mhz on CPU. After you have found a decent Mhz for your CPU, it is time to stresstest it. I use OCCT. Cpu test, large dataset, Extreme mode, threads fixed, thread count: all you have. That means 12 threads. Test duration: 5-10 minutes.

Now, OCCT will be heavy on the CPU but it will also be heavy on your cooler. Keep an eye on your CPU-temp with Hwinfo64. It should stay below 90-95 Celsius. Don't trust any of the monitors in OCCT. If the test crashes or fails, the OC is unstable. Drop the clock on CPU by 50-100 Mhz, try again.

The objective of CPU OC is to get the highest clocks at the least amount of voltage. Less powerdraw, less heat, less degradation, there is always some. The question is, will it kill the CPU in a week or 5-10 years. If you feel nervous, drop the voltage from 1.35 to 1.34v for instance. You probably have to drop OC by 100 Mhz too.

Personally, I have a Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8 Ghz.
Vcore in BIOS: 1.3425v
Vcore during heavy load in OCCT: 1.32v
I've had this OC since the start. 3-4 years now probably.

Last edited:
Solution