Can't mount SSD, leave it hanging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Hey guys,

I just installed a Samsung 840 Pro. Problem is, Cyberpower did a "professional wiring" for me. They just took all the wires and put zip ties on them and shoved them into the empty HDD bays.

When I went to put the SSD in, there was no way for me to do it really.

The drive is practically weightless.
Can I just have it hooked up the the cables and resting on the bottom of my case?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah you can leave it on the bottom of the case. Or zip tie it somewhere creative. I have had mine zip tied in for over 2 years with no problems. My adaptor did not really fit. An SSD is not vibration sensitive like a traditional hard drive is so you don't really have to worry about getting it in perfectly.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I would recommend you just cut the zip ties and open up one of the HDD bays.

If you don't want to do that, I would recommend taping the SSD to a part of the case, where it isn't blocking airflow, or touching anything that produces heat.

Gundy

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Putting it on the bottom of the case works fine. My Samsung 830 has been that way for 6 months with no problems. Just don't leave it hanging by the wires, it would be a shame if it were to come unplugged.

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks a lot for the fast help!

I'm going with zip tie to a creative spot in case. Hadn't thought of defeating the zip tied wires with one of my own!

Would undo all the wiring, but that seems like it would be a huge mess in the case compared with a little credit card SSD on the wall.

D

Deleted member 217926

If you can't find somewhere to zip tie to then you can always get some double sided Velcro tape. That works pretty well also.

I'd advise against zip ties - I've had my SSD velcroed to the side of my case for half a year and it works amazingly. (It's less permanent, so the drive can be moved / adjusted without cutting the zip tie every time.)

...Haha, anort beat me. But it really is a good solution.

D

Deleted member 217926

2 zip ties take less time to cut and replace than 4 screws do, ;)

The only downside to Velcro is that if the glue gets hot it can actually fall off, especially if the interior of your case has a shiny finish. I had some LCD lights in an old build in a case with a shiny, painted interior and after about a year they just fell off. One light was in the top part of the case and another was on the side wall. Once you mount it somewhere it's really hard to get all the glue residue off as well.

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Velcro tape, another great idea. Sounds easier than finding something to zip tie to, and probably looks kind of cool (the one day a month I open it).
I reckon if the side wall is hot enough to melt the glue, I have bigger issues than a 3 inch fall.

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.