Question Can't network Computers together

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Hey all,

I have been tearing my hair out trying to get my computers to network. I have tried every video I can find and still nothing. I previously had my desktop with windows 7 and my laptop with windows 10 and they networked fine. I upgraded the desktop to windows 10 and now nothing. I have gone to services and set to Function discovery automatic and delayed automatic. I even tried to network my macbook pro and neither computer recognizes it. I just don't know what would prevent them from networking when all I did was update the operating system of one. Sometimes they don't see eachother, but when I do and click on the networked computer it gives me the error "Windows cant communicate with the device or resource". Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure both are set to private not public network.

Give them static IP Addresses. Make sure they are in you network range but outside DHCP pool. Ex 192.168.1.xxx pool 80 to 200

In Windows explorer try typing the IP Address of the other computer into the address bar. Just as you would a computer name. Rather than trying to find it in the sidebar.

Ex. \\192.168.1.2\ rather than \\cruddypc\

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Make sure both are set to private not public network.

Give them static IP Addresses. Make sure they are in you network range but outside DHCP pool. Ex 192.168.1.xxx pool 80 to 200

In Windows explorer try typing the IP Address of the other computer into the address bar. Just as you would a computer name. Rather than trying to find it in the sidebar.

Ex. \\192.168.1.2\ rather than \\cruddypc\
I tried that and it says site cant be reached. Both are on Private network, discovery turned on, and static ip. Pings ok though

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
I found something disturbing. Just for the hell of it I tried sharing a folder. When I selected everyone for the folder it says it cant share the folder. What would cause this?

TRENDING THREADS