Question Cant oc my cpu even when it says it is, msi zh77a-g43

waltobc6

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
i got new mother-board after last one served well 6 years, always used a small oc on my i7-3770k to around 4.1 and never left the 60 C zone
now i got new msi zh77a-g43 h7 version
which after reading i should pick the z7 version for me to be able use the change clock i got from my 3770k version.
but i read that even my h7 could easly be oced to 4.0 - 4.1
i tried multiple settings over the oc section in bios, update my bios to the last version 1.A and even tried to use the OC Geine II and yet when i run cpu burn test all 4 cpu lock at 3691, and even trying to set cpu at x39 puts it back on x37.

What im doing wrong?

I think what you are referring to is the Turbo Boost OC'ing. Basically your taking the max turbo speed of your CPU, in this case 3.9ghz. To get 3.9ghz the CPU bus speed of 100 =mhz is multiplied by the multi in this case 39. 39 x 100 give you 3.9ghz. Yous stock speed is 3.5ghz (35 x 100mhz). So by only just increasing your CPU multiplier in the bios from it's standard of 35 to 39 you should get your easy OC. YOu really do need to watch temps on the CPU though. It's not an ideal way to OC, because you probably won't have access to CPU voltage which could mean your CPU gets hot on it's auto setting.

waltobc6

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
hey,, some one said that cuz of my chipset h77 i cant oc, but i got all the option and i set everything to x39,
it does jump from time to time one or 2 single core , but when i set a cpu test to load it to 100% its stuck on x37

HsWZ10S.png

3.7 base is a good result. But in theory it should be 3.9. You may have to disable Intel Speedstep, and/or disable the Turbo boost functionality. It might be that if you disable the Turbo boost and select the 39 multi, it will stick at all cores 3.9. Just watch the temps as I've said. Try it and let me know.

waltobc6

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
3.7 base is a good result. But in theory it should be 3.9. You may have to disable Intel Speedstep, and/or disable the Turbo boost functionality. It might be that if you disable the Turbo boost and select the 39 multi, it will stick at all cores 3.9. Just watch the temps as I've said. Try it and let me know.

hey - so i did disable the speedstep and the turbo boost, and still no effect when i burnout 100% of cpu.

waltobc6

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Then it's likely that particular mobo doesn't support the change in multi. Only option maybe to run it as you are, or replace mobo with a Z77 to push the OC higher.

when u say mobo u mean to change the chipset ?
i can do that? get a chipset of Z77 and with electronic engineer replace the bios?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's an H77 chipset. That means no OC. The only OC you can get above @ 400MHz past turbo (only on Ivy-Bridge cpus) is using the OC Genie, which changes the BCLK from 100.0 to 103.7, 105.4 etc. The bad part about that is because it's changing the value of the buss clock, everything reliant on the buss clock is also affected, like ram speeds etc. This can and does frequently result in instability so the OC Genie will back off on the OC until it thinks its stable. It also relies on auto voltages, which Intel already sets high, so temps go nuts.

waltobc6

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
It's an H77 chipset. That means no OC. The only OC you can get above @ 400MHz past turbo (only on Ivy-Bridge cpus) is using the OC Genie, which changes the BCLK from 100.0 to 103.7, 105.4 etc. The bad part about that is because it's changing the value of the buss clock, everything reliant on the buss clock is also affected, like ram speeds etc. This can and does frequently result in instability so the OC Genie will back off on the OC until it thinks its stable. It also relies on auto voltages, which Intel already sets high, so temps go nuts.
i tried the oc geine 2 and it didn't change anything