Question Can't OC RAM or CPU

Jun 19, 2019
Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4 3000MHz XMP 2.0 (4 x 8GB)
GPU: GTX 1080

Running everything at stock this PC is completely stable, long game times and no crashes what so ever.
The second I OC I get very consistent game crashes and weird screen flickers from time to time.

This is the error I get when I check Event Viewer after a game crashing (3DMark instantly closes and shows "Oops" or "User cancelled test":
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404000=0x80000002

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

It's strange because this seems like a graphics card error of some sorts but it's not, I tested it in another system and it's completely fine, I even replaced the PSU in my system as I thought it was that for a while, turns out it wasn't.
Pretty sure it's no software error either due to doing a clean install of windows and installing latest drivers.

I've tried OC my CPU to 3.5 - 3.7GHz (3.0 Stock) 1.29-1.31v and get game crashes, nothing I've tried has been stable, even very minor overclocks crashes my games, never blue screens or system crashes though.

I've tried OC my RAM from 2133 to 2666, enabled XMP and was getting the same error as seen in event viewer, tried bumping to 2933 and was getting boot loops (PC turning off 5 times) so tried bumping the SOC voltage to 1.1 and the DDR to 1.4, nothing. I did the same with 2666 and was getting game crashes.

Just not entirely sure on the issue here I'm no expert, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
All the X boards should have a stable OC built it.
It seems something is obviously making it crash.
We're assuming you are on windows 10
I'd run a MEMTEST on the ram (do it with 1 in at a time because if their is a fault, you won't know which one it is).
I'd also say I think it is a memory issue, so maybe remove the RAM as well and only put 1 in and see how it works.

First the CPU is not made for overclock. From what I know he need to be 1700x or something
About the ram I really don't know what to say
That's compleatly false. It is possible to OC, not having X is not prerequisite, All Ryzen have unlocked multiplier, it's not like Intel and their K processors.
"Secret" to overclocking Ryzen is good cooling to allow proportionally higher voltages.

Jun 19, 2019
All the X boards should have a stable OC built it.
It seems something is obviously making it crash.
We're assuming you are on windows 10
I'd run a MEMTEST on the ram (do it with 1 in at a time because if their is a fault, you won't know which one it is).
I'd also say I think it is a memory issue, so maybe remove the RAM as well and only put 1 in and see how it works.
I ran a memtest a while back but not 1 at a time and it was fine, but I’ll try what you suggested at some point see if it does anything.

Jun 19, 2019
Update: Removed 2 ram sticks and just left 2 in there and updated the BIOS from F2 to F31, used XMP once again at 2900 and it caused boot loops, I actually managed to get into windows this time but not for long as I got blue screened with a video scheduler error shortly after, tried going 2800, 2600 and all unstable, not sure on what I should do now. I was considering using EZ Overclock Tuner but not entirely sure on how safe that is.