[SOLVED] Can't open files after renaming them

dalibor19901

Reputable
Jan 9, 2018
So I have a bunch of PSD files and I wanted to rename them so I can know which is which, but I didn't add the .psd at the end, and now they are listed as ''File''. Then I tried adding .psd and that didn't help. Then I added .psd~ because I noticed that's how my other PSD files are named. (picture.psd~) and that didn't warn me that I might lose the data, so i thought that worked. Yet it still can't be opened and is listed as an unsupported format. When I hit the properties, it says the format is PSD~ File (.psd~) Please help!

Solution
Applications, and Windows, rely on the extension to know wat to try to open them with.

.psd~ is unknown, and won't work.
Change them to just whatever.psd.

dalibor19901

Reputable
Jan 9, 2018
Applications, and Windows, rely on the extension to know wat to try to open them with.

.psd~ is unknown, and won't work.
Change them to just whatever.psd.
I did and it still won't open them. I named the file whatever.psd., but when I try to open it via app, it says it's named psd~~ and then I checked the file's format via properties and it still says PSD~ File (.psd~)

dalibor19901

Reputable
Jan 9, 2018
Yes.

With that Unchecked, you're not seeing the actual extension. You're just changing the file name.
Ok so I did that and it did show me the extensions and I could properly name them now, and the Format says what it should says (PSD file) but none of the drawing programs would open them. They are still listed as unsupported.

USAFRet

Titan
Sadly that didn't help either. I don't understand what could possibly get so screwed up just after naming the files wrong.
Because in the original instance, you weren't changing the extension.
Everything after that just made it worse.

Can you show a screencap of part of File Explorer, showing a few of these files? With the FULL file name and extension.

What application do you use to open these?

dalibor19901

Reputable
Jan 9, 2018
Because in the original instance, you weren't changing the extension.
Everything after that just made it worse.

Can you show a screencap of part of File Explorer, showing a few of these files? With the FULL file name and extension.

What application do you use to open these?
By the way, there is something else, I don't know if it's of any significance but when I renamed the files, I did it through the drawing program SAI, because through it I could see the drawings of those psd files while renaming them.

TRENDING THREADS