[SOLVED] Cant open pics, just goes into perpetual looping.

jscuz80

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
My partners surface pro, which she needs for uni, has stopped opening her photos and uni work, it just goes into a loop and nothing happens. Everything else seems to work fine, Internet, Netflix. it just seems to be "File Explorer" not working at all. I've run "Win Mem Diag", "ChkDsk", AVG Deep Scan, Boot Time Scan, CCleaner, Error Checking Tool, and even PassMark, just to run all the hardware and see if anything failed. Boot Time Scan was the only one the had me concerned as it was running I saw a lot of corrupted files come up in the log, but then it booted as normal and didn't allow me to fix the files so assumed they where false positive. Can someone please assist, this PC is important to her as its mainly for her Uni.
P.S. We've managed to upload most of the Uni work and photos to OneDrive and will attempt a Win 10 reinstall Tomorrow.
(also, before it's mentioned, This PC came with System Restore Turned Off, kind of a bummer as I was excited that it was the solution to the problem.)

Solution
don't use crap Anti Virus software like AVG. Built in Windows Defender is actually better and is built in, light weight, and doesn't get in the way of anything.

I would concur that you should probably backup any and all important files and information, then do a clean wipe of the drive and clean install of Windows 10 and start from scratch installing necessary software.
This time around, don't get any additional Anti Virus software at all, and don't go installing any software that claims to help your PC run better and whatnot. That stuff never actually works.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
don't use crap Anti Virus software like AVG. Built in Windows Defender is actually better and is built in, light weight, and doesn't get in the way of anything.

I would concur that you should probably backup any and all important files and information, then do a clean wipe of the drive and clean install of Windows 10 and start from scratch installing necessary software.
This time around, don't get any additional Anti Virus software at all, and don't go installing any software that claims to help your PC run better and whatnot. That stuff never actually works.

Solution

jscuz80

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016

Thanks for advice, we backed up everything onto onedrive and did a win 10 refresh, Works like a brand new system.