Can't open ports using Google Fiber.

Aug 10, 2018
For the past few months I've been on and off trying to port forward to my PC. I have a SSH server set up that my end goal is to be able to access while I'm not home. I am trying to port forward on port 22.
-I have logged into my Google Fiber account and set the router to forward to my PC on port 22.
-I have disabled my firewall, and made in/out bound rules to allow traffic on port 22.
-I've made sure my SSH server is set on Port 22 and is running when I test it.
-I've done my best to check for any applications preventing it.
-I've recreated all of this on my laptop and gotten the same results.
-Running Tracert 8.8.8.8 results in:
1 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms networkbox.home [192.168.1.1]
2 4 ms 4 ms 3 ms 10.26.0.50
3 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms ae5.ar01.slc101.googlefiber.net [192.119.17.166]
4 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms ae0.ar01.slc102.googlefiber.net [192.119.17.151]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 23-255-225-164.mci.googlefiber.net [23.255.225.164]
7 19 ms 19 ms 20 ms 72.14.202.73
8 20 ms 21 ms 21 ms 108.170.242.241
9 21 ms 21 ms 20 ms 209.85.240.169
10 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms FWDR-8.FWDR-8.FWDR-8.FWDR-8 [8.8.8.8]
The second hope (10.26.X.X) from what I've read seems to be a common private IP address to have appear when running tracert with google fiber but does not cause double natting, I could be wrong.
-When I try to connect to my server with a different computer using my private IP address, e.g. username@192.X.X.X it works fine but does not work when I use my public IP address e.g. username@45.X.X.X.
-I am using an Ethernet cable.

EDIT: Also I forgot that I have been testing this canyouseeme.org and it just results in a connection time out error;

Any help is greatly appreciated. This has been driving me mad.

Solution
This gets very tough sometimes. It can be that the traffic never gets to your router because the ISP or something else blocks it. The traffic is being blocked by the router somehow. The traffic is going to the end station but the end station is not responding properly.

If you can plug your PC directly into a modem if you have one that will eliminate the router.

Be very sure your router actually has a the same public IP on its wan port that you see on the test sites. Your tracert makes it appear the ISP is giving you 10.26.0.x ip
Make sure you are testing from a second computer on a different network. Many routers do not support accessing the external IP from the internal network. This is called hairpin nat and not all routers support it and few if any even mention it if they do.

Try a different port, some almost random number and map that to the internal port 22. Some ISP block some of these common ports because they are attacked all the time. It will also reduce the hacking attempts on your SSH if it is running on a non standard port.

Aug 10, 2018

-Ok I tried this with an outside network but wasn't successful.

Try a different port, some almost random number and map that to the internal port 22. Some ISP block some of these common ports because they are attacked all the time. It will also reduce the hacking attempts on your SSH if it is running on a non standard port.

-I tried a few different ports, making sure to change the port forwarding address and the port in sshd_config, but still nothing. I repeated this when I tried connecting from a different network. Still nothing.

This gets very tough sometimes. It can be that the traffic never gets to your router because the ISP or something else blocks it. The traffic is being blocked by the router somehow. The traffic is going to the end station but the end station is not responding properly.

If you can plug your PC directly into a modem if you have one that will eliminate the router.

Be very sure your router actually has a the same public IP on its wan port that you see on the test sites. Your tracert makes it appear the ISP is giving you 10.26.0.x ip

Solution