Can't open programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

srirons

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Hello all... So I had a virus on my computer and I got rid of it using a boot scan with Avast... However, in getting rid of the virus, I believe I may have messed something else up in my computer... So after I ran the scan and booted the computer back up, I realized that I still couldn't open any programs (control panel and all that work, but none of the software)... I couldn't open up MS office, or itunes or even the internet (any browser)... Except randomly the link to Pandora would open and connect me to chrome... Which is how I'm on here now... The strange thing is, if there is a link online that opens the application it'll open fine... I can't open a word document saved to my computer, but one posted by my professor opens MS word fine... That happens for everything I've tried... I can download lectures in Itunes if I click on the link from my college's e-learning site... So I've tried to download updates and things from Microsoft and it downloads fine, but when I go to run them it stops... So now I'm stuck and the local repair shop quoted me $120... There's nothing on my computer that needs to be saved currently, so I figured I'd just re-install windows if I can figure out how to get the darn thing to run... Thanks in advance for any and all help...

Oh I should probably tell you what happens when I try to open a program... I don't get an error, I get the "choose the program you would like to use to open" window... The only thing listed ever is IE... when I click on it, it brings me to my home page in IE...

Solution
Then, if they are incorrect (as I expect) navigate to Program Files on your C drive and
open each software folder in turn, rt click on the application file and choose 'create shortcut' A window will appear to tell you you can't create a shortcut here and let you create one on the Desktop which is where you want it...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Executables aren't opened with anything, as they are programs, not data. Whatever you're trying to use to launch the program is not the actual program executable. If it's not too much of a hassle, you can probably just recreate the shortcuts like dodger46 suggested.

Personally, I'd just reinstall Windows. Who knows what that virus did to your computer. Better to start from scratch at this point.

srirons

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
So I've tried to use the system restore and the system update in my programs and they won't open either... So how do I re-install windows if I can't open any of these programs.. Thats where I'm stuck...

Yanthrax

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Solution

srirons

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

I bought it with Windows 7 already on it and I didn't receive a disk so I'm assuming they're on my hard drive?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Sounds like the virus hijacked your shortcuts to direct you to some website the virus wants you to see. Doesn't seem like Avast did a very good job fixing the problem to me.

srirons

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

That's what I've been thinking... I don't think it fixed the corrupted files... I think it deleted the startup files all together...

If the installation files are on the drive they'll be accessed by hitting a key like F11 when you boot. Need to read your manual... or borrow a disk from somewhere, but make sure you have a record of your licence key...

Yanthrax

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Not sure if you saw my post, but please do consider it before you reinstall windows, i've had the problem several times at work and fixed it with those reg files.

srirons

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Actually I missed your post... Lets see if I'm successful in figuring out how to use it though...

Yanthrax

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Just unzip the file you downloaded, double click on the .reg file and click yes/agree with it being imported.

srirons

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
So I wasn't able to figure it out... It kept giving me an error... I took it to the tech center on campus and they ran their fix exe program they had on a flash drive and it worked like a charm... Thanks for your help guys... I appreciate it...

Status
Not open for further replies.