[SOLVED] Cant open programs

sc1984

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Hey All,

Randomly today I went to start google chrome and nothing happened. I then tried spotify and other programs. The only 1 I could get to start was Kodi. Out of curiousity I tried task manager and it wouldn't pop up. I then restarted the computer and same issues. So I researched and most methods involve using regedit but it wont start when I click on it. I did find, like in this instance, that if I have a file associated with the program it will launch. I happened to have a internet explorer file for some reason and allowed it to start. I tried a virus scan and found 2 PUPs. I rebooted and the problem persists. Any idea of what I can do? Thanks

Solution
have you tried safe mode?
on the logon screen, click the power button in bottom right
with left shift held down, click restart button
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

does it work normal here?
If so, it might be a startup program
in safe mode, try setting up a clean boot - Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its...

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried safe mode?
on the logon screen, click the power button in bottom right
with left shift held down, click restart button
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

does it work normal here?
If so, it might be a startup program
in safe mode, try setting up a clean boot - Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

What Antivirus did you use?

Solution