Cant Open regedit...

abhayk

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
I am currently using win 10 and i am unable to open Regedit.........Whenever i double click on regedit.exe nothing happens.............please help..........and i dont know muck about computer softwares so please be elaborate while explaining......Thank you in advance

Solution
The right Control + Shift + Enter(or control shift and click) should open open it with the administrator account(UAC prompt and all).

That is when you type "sfc /scannow" without quotes

If you are not in an elevated command prompt it does not work.

Top normal command prompt. Bottom elevated.
2195bbn.jpg

Can you try to run it from the Run command.

Hold down the Start(Windows flag) key and press R. Type regedit into the window that shows up and hit enter.

It may also help to restart your computer. do not just shut down and power up, use restart because it works different with 8/8.1/10 with fast startup on.

abhayk

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014

Yes i tried that but still it doesn't open.........

Never seen this one to be honest.

It may not be a bad idea to run sfc /scannow in the command prompt

Start + R type cmd and hold right control+shit and hit enter. This will open an admin command prompt to run your scan in.

Again, I have not seen instances of regedit not working like this. Even group policy would have given a message.

abhayk

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014

What to do after opening the cmd?

abhayk

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014

Bro please help.............

abhayk

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014

It says "you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility". What should i do?

The right Control + Shift + Enter(or control shift and click) should open open it with the administrator account(UAC prompt and all).

That is when you type "sfc /scannow" without quotes

If you are not in an elevated command prompt it does not work.

Top normal command prompt. Bottom elevated.
2195bbn.jpg

Solution

Cindi_

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

I have the same issue, however, I have tried to execute it from the run command and it will not open. It just "fllicks" and nothing.

Niels_

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
right click the windows logo on windows 10 and you should be given the option to run command prompt as an admin
unless you're not the administrator of the pc.

jjsanes

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
If this solution still does not work (it was my case), this might be the cause: your computer is running some antivirus (not all, mind you) or any other protection software that has the Windows registry editor and the registry files blocked. In which case, you'd better run that antivirus or application, which will allow you to browse and edit the registry (obviously under your responsibility).

Hope this helps!