Jun 22, 2020
View: https://imgur.com/hIFCdpF

idk if this has anything to do with it but there was a power cut and since then i feel like my pc has been running alot slower and i cant open windows security other than the menu in my screenshot. It says "action recommended" but i can't open anything there. I tried "sfc scannow" but I still can't open anything on it. if i click on it nothing happens.

Also if i click on windows security on the taskbar it takes like 20s to load up or doesn't load up at all unless i open settings.

Solution
That is the start menu. the command is meant to re register the start menu as well as everything listed in it.

did sfc /scannow find anything it couldn't fix?

Win 10 could have been corrupted by the power cut as its not designed to lose total power , by default its off state is actually a hybrid hibernate so it is possible you broke part of it with the power loss. I have seen it before. Simply unplugging it and opening case/cleaning inside has caused problems before.

A clean reinstall of it might be what you need. No rush. and its your choice when, or even if, I just think it is fastest way to fix. Good thing about knowing is you can plan what you need to save, and can make sure you don't lose anything if you list down things you...

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. tried running windows update and getting all defender updates?
  2. try running the windows update trouble shooter?
its in settings/update & security/troubleshoot, click the Additional trouble shooter option and it should be at bottom of Get up & running section
3. Re-register the app
Right click on Start > Select PowerShell (Admin)
Copy/paste the following command into the Window then press Enter.

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n/0d731d09-2b8c-459f-9e55-61905e924a54?auth=1

Jun 22, 2020
  1. tried running windows update and getting all defender updates?
  2. try running the windows update trouble shooter?
its in settings/update & security/troubleshoot, click the Additional trouble shooter option and it should be at bottom of Get up & running section
3. Re-register the app
Right click on Start > Select PowerShell (Admin)
Copy/paste the following command into the Window then press Enter.

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n/0d731d09-2b8c-459f-9e55-61905e924a54?auth=1
yea i tried updating and the trouble shooter. i tried the powershell thing but it just has a bunch of errors saying unable to install because the following appls new to be closed microsoft.windows.shellexperiencehost_10.0.19041.610_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy idk what that is

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is the start menu. the command is meant to re register the start menu as well as everything listed in it.

Win 10 could have been corrupted by the power cut as its not designed to lose total power , by default its off state is actually a hybrid hibernate so it is possible you broke part of it with the power loss. I have seen it before. Simply unplugging it and opening case/cleaning inside has caused problems before.

A clean reinstall of it might be what you need. No rush. and its your choice when, or even if, I just think it is fastest way to fix. Good thing about knowing is you can plan what you need to save, and can make sure you don't lose anything if you list down things you need to save. If you have 2 or more drives in PC you can copy anything onto another drive and lose nothing but time.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

when you sure you have everything off C you want to keep
boot from installer and follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Clean install wipes entire drive C is on, so no point putting things in another partition on same drive.

Solution
Jun 22, 2020

A clean reinstall of it might be what you need. No rush. and its your choice when, or even if, I just think it is fastest way to fix. Good thing about knowing is you can plan what you need to save, and can make sure you don't lose anything if you list down things you need to save. If you have 2 or more drives in PC you can copy anything onto another drive and lose nothing but time.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

when you sure you have everything off C you want to keep
boot from installer and follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Clean install wipes entire drive C is on, so no point putting things in another partition on same drive.
hmm the issue isn't that bad so idk but sfc scannow did find some corrupted files. i also did a restore point but idk if that means anything. thanks for the help ill keep that in mind

Colif

Win 11 Master
did it fix the files? if it didn't there is a way to fix the files it uses to compare the currently loaded ones

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

which version of win 10 is it?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
Current is 20H2. If you are on that build you could try a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020
did it fix the files? if it didn't there is a way to fix the files it uses to compare the currently loaded ones

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

which version of win 10 is it?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
Current is 20H2. If you are on that build you could try a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
yea sfc scannow did fix it or thats what it said and ill try the repair windows thing
i might try the repair install
windows 10 20h2